North Yorkshire Dragonflies

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
A Golden-ringed Dragonfly and a Keeled Skimmer, both from Fen Bog NR, N. Yorkshire, yesterday evening. The Golden-ringed was very obliging, patrolling a stretch of stream and repeatedly setting on the same perches. Once settled, it seemed happy to stay put while I shifted position to get the shots:

Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii), male by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii), male by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Keeled Skimmers are a bit more difficult, as they're rather flighty, and seem to prefer to settle on the ground, but one male chose a nice photogenic patch of Bell Heather to perch on:

Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens), male by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Taken with the Canon 5DMkIV + Canon 180mm f3.5L Macro lens.

Cheers,

Dave

Very impressive shots and a pleasure to look at. Really captured some nice detail.

Thanks everyone!

Very nice Dave I spent 10 hours looking for a Golden ringed last Sunday at North Yorkshire and failed just saw 1 pass by like lightning well done Dave ?

Kevin, there's a fair element of luck involved in finding them, but if you find a territorial male, it will patrol a section of stream, and regularly use the same few perches. Once perched, my experience is that they will allow a close approach - they're certainly easier to get close to than either hawkers or chasers. Keep trying, and I'm sure you'll be posting some stunning shots!

Dave

Lovely shots of the golden-ringed. Is my favourite dragon, but there arent any local sites - often travelling to the New Forest to see them. But always worth the 2 hour drive.

Great to see a keeled that isnt on the ground!

Back