North England North Yorkshire - hills and waterfalls suggestions

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
I will be on holiday in Yorkshire next week and having spent the last 18 months in the relative flatlands of East Anglia, I'm looking forward to photographing some hills, valleys and waterfalls.
I'll be based just north-east of York, so anything eastwards to the coast and up into the North Yorkshire Moors.
Any suggestions anyone?

Malham Cove , Gordale Scar, Janets Foss ( all at Malham and within walking distance of each other and sometimes you can even park at Goredale ) , Ingleboro Waterfalls ( you have to pay to access through the pub ), Aysgarth Falls and the Strid at Bolton Abbey ( pay for parking ). That lot should complete your list but not many on the NY Moors they tend to be in the dales in limestone country.

Hayburn Wyke, a little unusual it's on the beach.
Several around Goathland - to be rather too busy for serious photos.

With the heather coming out the top of Fryup dale is interesting however it was badly affected by beetle last year and hasn't properly recovered though little evidence of infestation this year.

Fryup viewpoint by Colin Grice, on Flickr

Malham Cove , Gordale Scar, Janets Foss ( all at Malham and within walking distance of each other and sometimes you can even park at Goredale ) , Ingleboro Waterfalls ( you have to pay to access through the pub ), Aysgarth Falls and the Strid at Bolton Abbey ( pay for parking ). That lot should complete your list but not many on the NY Moors they tend to be in the dales in limestone country.
Those are in the Pennines so unhandy for NE of York

Those are in the Pennines so unhandy for NE of York
I spotted that. I'll keep them in mind though incase we end up over that direction.
Heather is a good call, any other good spots in the NY Moors ?

If you aren't scared of minor roads and very steep hills, devise a circuit through Rosedale Chimney Bank, Stape and Egton Bridge.
A nice quiet loop is Bransdale above Helmsley which is largely National Trust owned with a circular single track road within the dale passing very traditional picturesque farmsteads.
Another nice area to explore is from Byland Abbey skirting west around Coxwold Oldstead and Felixkirk below Sutton Bank.
It's a fantastic level walk from the visitor centre on top of the bank to the White Horse Bank and gliding club but there are times it's only marginally less busy than Scarborough sea front (try to go early/late)
Whitby and the coast is very appealing but all laid out to extract as much tourist money as possible - in August I wouldn't go near it personally there is much to see without getting into the hotspots.

Be aware that the TV transmitter tower fire at Bilsdale is also affecting mobile reception.
I heard from someone up there at Fangdale Beck that they can't get an O2 or Vodafone signal.
Something to bear in mind if you go to a remote area on your own.

Be aware that the TV transmitter tower fire at Bilsdale is also affecting mobile reception.
I heard from someone up there at Fangdale Beck that they can't get an O2 or Vodafone signal.
Something to bear in mind if you go to a remote area on your own.
It's just Bilsdale itself along the B1257 there is no widespread effect but phone signal is always poor widely here apart from main towns.
We still have none at all practically in a well know village.

Back