Midlands Northamptonshire

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone suggest good places for landscape, building and street photography in northamptonshire. I need places to go to develop my photography. I need some inspiration. Help please.
Thanks

There are a few good views in Northamptonshire if you know where to go, we've not got the massive sweeping views, but some good countryside. I don't know where you are based near, but let me know & I could give you a few suggestions that I know of. Northampton can be good for street photography & there are a few good buildings there as well.

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to have a serious attempt at learning photography after years of messing around taking so so photo's but I need the idea's where to go. I think your flickr shots are great and the sort of thing I would like to be able to achieve. I live in Northampton and willing to travel. I am disabled and cannot walk to far so I need to take this into account.
Thanks
Terry

There's summer Leys nature reserve near Earls Barton/Wollaston, which is good for birds. Also keep an eye on the SantaPod calendar, if you like motor sport it's a good place to photo some fast action.

Terry, theres always Pitsford water, you can park on the Holcot road with the water either side, good for sunsets and enjoying the feathered variety flying around, theres also a lot of Red kites to be seen around Corby with some nice scenery along the back roads around Brigstock

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. No excuse now for not getting out

Oundle is a great historic spot. Lyveden New Bield just up the road from Oundle is very interesting.

Make you wonder how many of us there are in Northampton :thinking:

I'm not but spend the majority of my work time around there, most work is call outs so sometimes i'm sat around so go in search of places to photograph ;)

I used to live in Northants before coming back to North Yorkshire.

You have Rutland Water not too far away. You have Rockingham Castle near Corby. There is a cracking railway viaduct a few miles from the castle. Rockingham Motor Speedway for some track stuff.

Last edited:
The market square in Northampton is a good place for street photos. It's near to a few car parks as well so not too far to walk. You could sit down near where they are repairing the fountain and get photos of some of the characters as go by. Abington street is good too for street shots although I do mainly buildings.

Seems to be quite a few of us in Northamptonshire then. If you fancy a drive into some nice countryside, try the lanes around Naseby, you also have the battle memorials there as well and the roads around Cottesbrook are really pretty.

Twywell and Eyebrook Reservoir are quite good for landscape, I also quite like Woodford Water Tower in the summer.

Geddington is a nice place for a few shots, Eleanor Cross in the centre and a nice Ford alongside the bridge. Blisworth marina, Harringworth viaduct... it goes on.

I have to agree with the suggestion of Lyveden New Bield. I've shot there three times at different stages of the year and got some great shots.

St Johns Church ruins is quite good.

I've also done a few visits to Sixfields recently and got some interesting results.

Sixfields? Where in Sixfields? I did measure up town centre for street but found it not really what I was after, dying to try street in bicester village.

Sixfields is the area around the Cobblers football ground. Lots of dining places and a few lakes with wildlife areas.

Sixfields? Where in Sixfields? I did measure up town centre for street but found it not really what I was after, dying to try street in bicester village.

You do know that Bicester is Oxfordshire? if it makes any difference, a photo is a photo no matter where.

You do know that Bicester is Oxfordshire? if it makes any difference, a photo is a photo no matter where.

Indeed, but I find the area lovely and it's not that much of a trip :)
Sixfields is the area around the Cobblers football ground. Lots of dining places and a few lakes with wildlife areas.
Yeah I life down the road, was more wondering where in Sixfields as I can't think of any photo opportunities around there really :p

Yeah I life down the road, was more wondering where in Sixfields as I can't think of any photo opportunities around there really

The burnt out Red Hot maybe :banana:

Another Northants local here (well, outskirts at least - Towcester). Agree town centre is good for street, quite a few oddballs which can be a pro/con depending on your temperament. Plenty of picturesque villages around, stoke bruerne and blisworth for the grand union canal. Few derelict spots around if you like urbex style shots.

Another Northants local here (well, outskirts at least - Towcester). Agree town centre is good for street, quite a few oddballs which can be a pro/con depending on your temperament. Plenty of picturesque villages around, stoke bruerne and blisworth for the grand union canal. Few derelict spots around if you like urbex style shots.
I did the canal at Blisworth, well worth a visit, especially when the weather is good.

They do an annual canal festival, some great sights and sounds when they do. Plus my kids love it so two birds with one stone etc.

I have found some photographic interest at the Northampton & Lampost Railway site, a small railway preservation group near Pitsford/Northampton - a few engines and carriages, period platform dressing, people in costume sometimes.

Back