Northern Lights Isle of Skye

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
We were treated to an amazing aurora show the other night with a Kp7 or 8 at times combined with almost clear skies and calm conditions.
At times the activity was so strong that you could see the vivid green with the naked eye. It was reminiscent of some of the trips I made to Lofoten and Iceland. Probably the best I've seen on Skye to date.
Flickr resizes seem a bit off on my retina display but you get the idea.

21420677613_e688cf34fd_c.jpg

21838106258_a27d157409_z.jpg

21999760376_7f2ec9fff8_z.jpg

22054731152_6a6dd646e4_z.jpg

Nah.....looks like light pollution :whistle: :D

Absolutely stunning photographs (y), I was very pleased with the short show that we got but to see lights like these must be amazing :)

Thanks folks.
Possibility of more activity tonight although doubt it will be this strong.

Fantastic!

i saw a great display in iceland in 2013, but its never enough - getting some purple is on my bucket list! Was meant to be big storm when i was there last but despite all forecasting suggesting success, we didnt have any. the first time i saw them, i didnt make a big effort to do so, the 2nd two attempts nothing - the moral is, dont plan too much!

anyway, great photos, i think 1st one is my favourite

More fantastic aurora shots - I particularly like the first :clap: I'm not jealous....much!! :)

It was a very bright night to the NW but I didn't have any transport so I couldn't visit my usual locations. I only saw the bright green with the black lines as in your third photo and much further to the west than usual and didn't see as much as I have on lesser strength of aurora. What time did you take yours?

Thanks folks.
Possibility of more activity tonight although doubt it will be this strong.

I was out last night on the east coast and the aurora was very low in the sky. I toured about looking for a better view for a couple of hours but went home disappointed. Tonight is still auroral but looks too cloudy for any views at the moment.

It was a very bright night to the NW but I didn't have any transport so I couldn't visit my usual locations. I only saw the bright green with the black lines as in your third photo and much further to the west than usual and didn't see as much as I have on lesser strength of aurora. What time did you take yours?

I was out last night on the east coast and the aurora was very low in the sky. I toured about looking for a better view for a couple of hours but went home disappointed. Tonight is still auroral but looks too cloudy for any views at the moment.

I started just around 8pm, went back out I think it was between 10-11pm when it was even stronger.
Last night only produced a green glow and tonight I can't see anything.

I went out that night from 10pm ish until midnight. I possibly missed the main activity but it's always great to see and photograph, even just the green arc. The sky is clearing slightly as I can make out the stars but I'll keep checking. There's no streetlights here but the hill rises up steeply from the back of the house so not easy to see.

Thanks for posting..

Back