Northern Lights over Halifax, West Yorks

Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Can't say they're easily distinguishable from the light pollution. I'd say normally avoid man-made light rather than shoot directly over it for Aurora shots.

Come clean Phil, you were using those cheap graduated filters again ;)
Seriously, well done, just a bit envious as they never reach this far south.

Can't say they're easily distinguishable from the light pollution. I'd say normally avoid man-made light rather than shoot directly over it for Aurora shots.

Tom, when you live near Halifax and you look out the back door, you don't expect to see the Northern Lights, I'd agree, no light pollution would have been excellent, but I had to take what was given......and very privileged I feel too .......can you distinguish them better in the photo below? ;).......no crop, SOOC

didnt realise you'd be able to see them with the light pollution going on, well captured mate :)

Thanks Ed :)

What could you see with naked eye?

I could see this, it was clearly visible with the naked eye, hand held @ 8seconds, resting on a fence post because my tripod was in the car :banghead: I'd sent the wife to run and get it.....but I couldn't wait :D This is the jpeg SOOC ;)

D7K_4535 by Phil Dyson, on Flickr

Come clean Phil, you were using those cheap graduated filters again ;)
Seriously, well done, just a bit envious as they never reach this far south.

:p.......thanks Steve ;)

Last edited:
Great stuff Phil

Shame I missed it - I bet it was a sight to behold and I know what you mean when you say "privileged" (y)

It had to be a decent display to be brighter than the light pollution.

Thanks Peter, definitely aeroplanes :)

I wonder if they are aircraft as I don't see any flashing lights giving a dotted line. I've taken some night photos with similar trails and I thought in mine it might be satellites causing those lines.

No, there not going to win any awards or be published in National Geographic but the phenomenon is easily distinguishable above the light pollution.

@Phil-D I'm jealous mate, would love to have seen them, considering the difficulties, well captured.

Jeez - you can't win on here can you. Yeah Phil - get yourself to bloody Iceland next time and stop messing around all that light pollution stuff ;)

Great shots - well spotted and well taken :)

Thanks Dave, comments appreciated :)

Great stuff Phil

Shame I missed it - I bet it was a sight to behold and I know what you mean when you say "privileged" (y)

Thanks Adrian, we were lucky to see it, stepped out the back door at the exact right time :banana: :)

It had to be a decent display to be brighter than the light pollution.

I wonder if they are aircraft as I don't see any flashing lights giving a dotted line. I've taken some night photos with similar trails and I thought in mine it might be satellites causing those lines.

Cheers Derek, it certainly was bright, if I hadn't seen it with the naked eye I wouldn't have been running for the camera .......and the missus running for my tripod :D
Definitely aeroplanes, zoomed in you can see the flashing lights :)

No, there not going to win any awards or be published in National Geographic but the phenomenon is easily distinguishable above the light pollution.

@Phil-D I'm jealous mate, would love to have seen them, considering the difficulties, well captured.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated :)

I do welcome all C&C on my images. I knew these were never more than record shots. Some of the images we see on here of the Northern Lights are absolutely superb, but for me and Lynn (my missus) to see it with the naked eye and get a few grab shots, it was quite special :)

Back