Northern Lights Over Iceland - Updated

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Class, would love to see them!
It was an amazing experience they flowed horizon to horizon for about two and a half hours that night and the 6 of us in the guest house were transfixed.

Last edited:
Excellent shots... spectacular colours.

They gave an amazing show here in the UK last week too, the best I`ve seen and I`ve been fortunate enough to see quite a few... I`d love to see them from Iceland though. :)

Excellent shots... spectacular colours.

They gave an amazing show here in the UK last week too, the best I`ve seen and I`ve been fortunate enough to see quite a few... I`d love to see them from Iceland though. :)
Thanks, we were surprised to check the bbc news as see pictures of the lights from Norwich! Definitely worth the trip to iceland though and not just for the lights it is a stunning country with a great photo round every corner!

this is one of my first pics orkney 27-2-14 sorry if i have put this in the wrong place

Last edited:
These are amazing pics! What settings did you use?
Thanks.

They were all shot with a samyang 14mm f2.8 on a canon 5d mkii with the lens wide open the exposures varied bettween about 10 and 20 seconds and I used an ISO of about 1600 to avoid noise and the headache of cleaning it up. We were really lucky to see two intense storms on clear nights do shooting it was relatively easy. I would love to go back and try again at keeping my cool and focussing on composition.

lovely shots - can't wait to see these one day.

Is the horses shot a composite, or did they just stand incredibly still for 10-20 seconds? :)

lovely shots - can't wait to see these one day.

Is the horses shot a composite, or did they just stand incredibly still for 10-20 seconds? :)

It was a single 8 second exposure, the lights were really bright that night and the horses were th other side of a fence in a field 3 of them wandered over to say hello stood around long enough for me to snap a couple of shots and then moved on. Was one of those how did that happen moments!

Very nice photos. We were up in Norway a couple of weeks ago and saw the lights there. Unfortunately nothing a vivid as the photos, although I know the camera can make them seem a little more intense with the longer exposures.
Well done! Very envious.

Very nice, always spectacular to see, thanks for sharing, I'm not jealous at all...

Back