Northern lights video advice please

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks. New here.

I am travelling to Iceland next month for my 30th and am very much hoping to see the northern lights during my stay.

Should I be lucky enough I really want to capture some video. I'm not talking about time lapse, I mean real time video! Obviously I've seen this on tv and am well aware of how difficult this is to achieve so I was hoping some of you may have some pointers for me.

I am not am expert. Or even proficient for that matter. But I am keen to learn.

I have a Panasonic gh2, tripod, lights and want to purchase a prime to give me the best chance. I can't afford the voightlander, can definitely afford the 20mm pancake but should be able to stretch to the Leica 25mm 1.4. Would the Leica give me a significantly better chance than the pancake? I've heard the difference is not vast but the Leica is better nonetheless.

Am I being hugely unrealistic with this venture? I'd rather get great photos than crap video! And would anyone recommend any particular settings/ strategies?

Cheers

Jimmy

How did you get on? I'm going to Iceland in March to shoot the northern lights (mostly photography) and will be taking a 5d, 5d MkII with a range of lenses and a goPro Hero2.

Any advice from your trip?

Back