Northern Lights without a Tripod, How?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, I will be going to Iceland tomorrow and unfortunately won't be taking a tripod with me. I wondered what the best way to take some shots of the Northern Lights (weather permitting) would be without a tripod?

Any settings advice would be great also (Nikon D3300 - 18-55mm Lens), I've read high ISO is a priority but would be grateful for some insight from people here!

Thanks in advance...(if you can read this, I know the forums are playing up at the minute!) :)

You will need to try high ISO and use a low f aperture setting if hand holding but not easy, best to try and find something you can support camera on and keep ISO down and use a mid to higher f setting. Use the camera timer.

Thanks Paul, I had a feeling I may have to rest the camera on something (I'm thinking my scarf or something like that, I will have to improvise!) but I have a remote shutter for the camera and will be taking that with me for the longer exposure I will likely need.

I reckon any sort of support will be better than none. Try a rolled up pair of socks or a spare waterproof or a bag of rice/sand/grit. If there are no rocks around to get the camera up off the ground, you'll have to get down on the ground yourself (that part's easy - it's getting back up that gets harder!!!) As said above, as high an ISO as you feel happy with and try to keep the exposure as short as possible. I've even gone to the trouble and expense of finding a fast, wide angle lens (Tamron 14mm f/2.8) for my trip to Iceland in 3 1/2 weeks or so and combined with the high ISO capabilities of the D750, I'm hoping the AB show themselves! I will be taking a tripod as well as a beanbag since I have a small CF one for travel.

Thanks Nod, we'll only be out to the Grotta Lighthouse area (probably along the car park/shore line so hopefully can find some things to use as a prop up. Having looked at some images on Flickr it would seem that an exposure of around 15 secs should be enough for a good shot!

Look forward to seeing your results, Daniel. Have a great trip. Something like a Gorillapod (SLR Zoom or Focus model) could be an ideal solution if you really can't take a tripod.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a Gorillapod for our trip to Florida in August but money permitting at the moment hence going without on this trip! Plus the lack of hold-luggage is an issue also! I'll be sure to post the results up when I get back!

Do you not have a tripod? It's not somewhere I would consider shooting without one.

Could you recce the area for a support before it gets dark?

Yeah hopefully I will have enough time to look around before setting up!

Do you not have a tripod? It's not somewhere I would consider shooting without one.

No I don't have one at the moment unfortunately, I think for the things we're ultimately going to be doing I should be OK but it's for things such as this which we have included in the trip it will be tricky!

Why can't you take a small tripod?

If its a space thing, you could buy a a cheap telescopic monopod and make the end into a spike or just take the head of it and attach it to a small rod to stick into the ground.
edit- just realised you going "tomorrow" on Feb 14, how did you get on?

Last edited:
take your biggest sock with you, fill it with soil/pebbles/sand/something dense to hand and tie a knot in the end. Voila - pro grade bean bag on the fly. Cable tie it to the folding suitcase stand from the hotel room and it'll give you a bit of height. Or you could borrow the shower curtain pole and shove it in the ground - or being totally out the box check with hotel lost property just in case they have a tripod. In the US it's been easier for me to buy a cheap $15 tripod from Walmart and abandon it at the end of the trip rather then try and lug it home!

Why can't you take a small tripod?

If its a space thing, you could buy a a cheap telescopic monopod and make the end into a spike or just take the head of it and attach it to a small rod to stick into the ground.
edit- just realised you going "tomorrow" on Feb 14, how did you get on?

Ha ha yes whilst I thank you for your tips....we never saw the Lights anyway!! The weather was atrocious the whole time we were there pretty much, more so in the evenings!

Nick [borrow:)] a pillow or cushion from you hotel, a soft one makes a good rest + you can sit on it :)

Back