Northern Lights

Name
Sidney
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Just listening to R4 'The World Tonight' and it seems that there will be a storm of charged particles coming from the sun tomorrow, and we could be able to see the Northern Lights here in the UK, providing there is a clear, dark sky at night. An expert says: 'the further north you are the higher the probability'.

Will any of you be venturing out? I am very temped after hearing that but I don't think I will be able to get to a place will little enough light pollution.

Just thought I would let you guys know.

Cheers,

Sid.

I wouldn't waste your time Sidney, at least not if your forecast is anything like mine, also the really of it is that its very unlikely to come as far south as your or I not that it doesn't occasionally

It would be great to see the Northern lights but just don't see it happening, perhaps our Geordie brethren may have a better chance :)

Steve

The forecast is not brilliant, but I'll have a look.

OP was 12th April so probably not relevant now!

Heather

Duh!

Probably a bit too late in the season for Northern Lights watching what with the shortening nights (the twilight would drown out all but the brightest displays).
But it is coming up to this time of year for Noctilcucent Cloud formation. I photographed this amazingly bright display here at Kent one August evening in 2009:

NLC7.jpg

If you want to know a bit more about noctilcucent clouds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

Back