Northern Lights

Green with envy, needless to say nothing down in sunny Hampshire. Great image !

Fab photo Tobers!! Hearing on twitter they have been spotted as far south as Essex [wish I'd have known, Id have been off out in the car much earlier], although the NASA pic that is circulating possibly takes the prize for best photo, albeit with a distinctly unfair advantage and with the caveat it might not be tonights, someone is tweeting it as if it is, but its not on NASA's feed. https://BANNED/The_Badgeman/status/439178739440959488/photo/1

Very little light pollution up here hence all the stars on show. There are 4 of us up here taking landscape pics so we had some decent gear on hand. This is with my Sony A7R and Olympus 21mm f/3.5 at f/5 I think, 15sec at ISO2000. Here's a couple more - same camera and settings.

Looking straight up...

Portrait orientation...

I've got to say it was amazing to see, especially in this setting with the clarity of the air and the brightness of the stars. I just wish I'd had the chance to drive over to one of the views over the lochs & mountains we'd been photographing earlier in the say as that would have given us some truly spectacular pictures.

Sooo jealous, I'd love to see the AB, it's on the bucket list for sure.

Those are cracking shots, especially the first with Orion nice and bright and the Seven Sisters. V nice indeed.

I replied in the other thread linked to but these are excellent shots Tobers and youv`e captured exactly what me and my band mates saw last night. (Unfortunately I didn`t have my camera with me as was at a band rehearsal... :()

As I said in the other thread, I`m fortunate that I live in the far north and have seen many jaw dropping displays of the AB but last nights was one of the best I`ve seen in many years.

Lochinver is not that far from me at all and a great place to see the AB...

Youv`e captured it beautifully... :)

Beautiful....I'm so envious.
By the way, your first image is on the Mail Online with a different copyright.

A very good (and extremely kind!) friend and fellow TPer is heading up to invade the Picts (while he doesn't need a passport to do so...) over the next couple of days and is hoping that the AB extend their run at least until he gets there.

Like Yv, I'm a little green with envy but I was warm as toast where I was when these shots were taken!

According to the beeb the solar flare is supposed to be weakening but should still be visible for a night or two yet...

I`m hoping to catch it myself if possible.

Beautiful....I'm so envious.
By the way, your first image is on the Mail Online with a different copyright.

Yep - I sent them in to SWNS for onward distribution so a few £s coming my way (not many though before you get excited!).

I think most of the pics were too late for the papers this morning so there may be some stuff in tomorrow (Saturday).

fantastic pics, something i really want to see.
My brother lives on Westray, Orkney, and said it's the best he's seen in the 10 years he's been there.
Can see them from the north, directly above, and as far south as the eye can see!
He spent all last night sat outside the pub the lucky ********!

Back