Northern Royal Albatross webcam

Edit My Images
No
Great stuff, thanks for posting. :)

The one thing that has always struck me about the albatross is they seem so gentle and have wise sagely look to them.......like they know something we don't and are smiling (some angles of viewing them) about "it" :). Unlike the gulls who are right bullies by comparison!

I enjoyed the Highlights, those birds are amazing.

Thanks for posting BB. It is excellent.

Dave

Heads up everyone..... @gramps @jakeblu @Tringa

There is a chick in the nest :) the update says it hatched on 24th January.

Last edited:
Bump

@gramps @jakeblu @Tringa

Do have another look ..............I find it amazing that the chick has not fledged yet, bearing in mind it hatched on 24th January, not even a sign of developing flight feathers!

I surmise that as these birds can live for 50years plus, that maturity comes slowly including the fledging!

Lots of down blowing in the oh so windy conditions.

Pitch black there at the moment so cant see a thing, will check later.

Just had a look and s/he is big now and the primary flight feathers are showing.

When I clicked it was stretching its wings and flapping..................so growing up slowly but surely :)

I have not looked up how long they take to fledge but it still has not lost all of its down....................though more flight feathers obvious :)

So hatched on 24th January and nigh on 7 months later still not ready for the big wide world!

Bump

I have noticed that the chick is growing well..................boy do they take a while but I surmise not a surprise as they live so long :)

The current/newer camera has IR night 'vision' and right now, at 2:40am the chick is asleep and alone on the nest :shush: :)

Oooooh!

Check the embedded link in post #14................12:30pm and the chick is awake and busy re-arranging the nesting materials to make it more comfy & warmer? :D

Buddy I haven't stopped by here for a while just heard something on the TV , Do me a tiny favour,nab a tape measure Laurence and lay out 2.7 to 3 M. That's the wingspan of this bird or there abouts I've just done it it's mind boggling:cool: Buddy I know they are big but I'll never see a real one so have no real conception. Seeing a 3 M wing span laid out really brings it home how huge they are..

Sorry mate, :LOL: it made my jaw drop:), It just might appeal to you

stu

@Stuart Philpott

If you want to get a good impression of size watch this recorded video from January 2020 when 'she' was sitting on the nest and the ranger visited to candle the egg to check its development. The bird & ranger interaction was such a gentle affair and I was quite moved by seeing the birds acceptance of the rangers presence and the care taken by the ranger ~ simply wonderful :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBH959EPhkk&list=PLL6KEl0oZPfujNwOXi8_uXgHTCCK7vatF&index=2&t=0s

PS and the "noises off" of I surmise the mate in the background :)

That is amazing. Such a wonderful sight to see the gentle interplay. One of the most beautiful things in this world.

Fantastic! The bird was so trusting.

A bit later than I had realised I looked at this years offspring...............

Born in January 2022 and still not fledged but almost by the plumage :)

Back