Northumberland coast

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Hi - I'm off to Embleton in early September - any 'must go' places. Interested in sea / landscapes particularly.

Bamburgh and Holy Island are the 2 musts, beadnell harbour is fine as is Dunstanburgh Castle, Belsay Hall if you want something different.
These are your starters, there is so much as all the beaches are great.

Alnmouth
Amble
Warkworth
to offer a few more.
Do your research beforehand to check the crossing/tide times for Lindisfarne (Holy Island)!

Should be in the area too mid-September.

Thanks for these suggestions - had a quick look on google earth - looks like I'm going to be busy with some early starts to get the right light. Best not tell the wife just yet!!!

I definitely agree with Alnmouth, thats my favourite beach but the whole coastline is lovely, just driving over or near the cheviot hills gives spectacular views. Alnwick castle and gardens, cragside and belsay are nice. There are loads of other castles and big houses. Kielder forest is worth a visit and has probably the darkest skies in England, great for star watching

Amble harbour's pretty good for shots - if it's stormy even better as there are some good shots to get with the breakwater pier there. plus you have Coquet Island just off the coast as well

Warkworth's very good, plus it has the castle stuck in the centre of the village which, considering it's not in great nick (compared to Alnwick Castle), you can get some interesting stuff.

If you want to venture more inland, a hike up Cheviot or around Simonside is really good.

Druridge Bay is pretty good for early morning shoots. very nice beach

Craster/ Wooler or Boulmer are canny villages to shoot. lots of old boats etc there

Going to Alnwick Castle and Gardens soon. Been doing a little bit of research, there's probably too many choices!

Back