Northumberland dark skies?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone been here? We want to go but not sure of the best time? What to expect. How easy is it to find a good area to shoot etc... I imagine a lot of tree cover, is it like the lake district in where you can get a local map with points of interest?

I'm from Northumberland, but don't live there any more.

It's not a very wooded county and, once you get away from anywhere urban, you'll mostly find open spaces. As it's the least populated county in the UK, you'll find plenty of places to set up.

That's said, there's an observatory which is in Kielder Forest however and this promotes the Darkest Skies in the UK (maybe even Europe).

http://www.visitkielder.com/play/discover/dark-skies

I'm biased, but I love Northumberland and if you're up there for a while there's loads of places of interest.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
I wrote up my adventuring with the camera to Northumberland Here.
http://moore.photos/adventures/northumberland.php

Highly recommend The Holy Island of Lindisfarne if you want a little bit of an adventure, also great place to get stranded and photography the nights sky and buildings without tourists.

Regards
Geoff

Northumberland is a huge county with quite distinct types of scenery. Fortunately it is largerly empty away from the coast so light pollution is rarely an issue. The dark sky park is around kielder forest which is as you might imagine, full of trees but there are rolling hills clear of the tree line and the resevoir. Several superb locations up the coast as well including Dunstanbugh, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne. Hadrian's wall has a few great spots on it including sycamore gap and Steel Rigg. All of these would provide great foregrounds for starry landscapes.

The castles are accessible to get to with some caveats. Lindisfarne is subject to tides so you'd probably be best planning a top over there if you want to shoot it at night. Bamburgh is easy to get to from all angles. Dunstanbugh Castle is a little more of a trek from any direction.

Kielder is easy to get around.

Hadrians wall has several visitor car parks along it but not necessarily great photo locations. Sycamore gap is a 10 minute walk from the road along an easy track though. The most popular shooting spot on the wall at Steel Rigg is a 15-20 minute hike up the hill from the road. It's easy going though.

Back