Non UK Norway

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Right so I've had to cancel my trip to iceland due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm gutted I should be there now! However I'm considering going to Norway instead in a couple of months. Initially my thoughts are to fly to either Oslo or tromso then fly back from the other. Has anyone undertaken anything like this? Currently when I try to plan a route on Google maps it suggests I drive all the way through Sweden! Does the Atlantic road not go all the way up Norway? Any advice would be good. Thanks in advance.

With the road on the coast, you could drive that way, but you would need to take quite a few car-ferries to get across the fjords.
The E6 does go all the way from Oslo to Tromso - that doesn't quite follow the coastline. The road along the coast/fjords will definitely be spectacular on its views/scenery.. and as long as you plan all your fjord crossings and are prepared to sit behind the slow moving German/Dutch caravans.. it'll be a journey to remember.
Look at the Norwegian route planner at : http://www.vegvesen.no/en/Traffic/Planning+your+trip/Route+planner
That should give you some options that don't include driving via Sweden :)

Thanks! I'll look into that. Never thought about all the ferrys. That may prove a bit costly!

Thanks! I'll look into that. Never thought about all the ferrys. That may prove a bit costly!

Other links you might find useful :
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/norway/254451#sthash.ri08St6t.dpbs
On the E6 you might get away with one car-ferry (don't quote me on that!) - so it shouldn't add too much to your drive.
You could always choose to follow the E6 (don't worry, even if it has number 6 in it.. it is nothing like our M6 ;-) - and north of Trondheim make detours to the coast.
All depends on how long you have for this trip as well... week, two week, a month??

Around a week to ten days. However a friend of mine now wants to join me and is puting restrictions on the time(he has to be back at work). I've only just started looking into this with my main emphasis initially on the loftofen Islands. So I'm not sure if it's too big a journey(tromsø to Oslo) for the time I may have.

If you try to squeeze the Lofoten into the 7-10 days.. you might be struggling if you want to drive.
Of course the drive is more than manageable, but do you want to spend the whole time sitting in the car?
You could consider flying halfway (maybe Oslo-Trondheim) and then drive the way up to Tromso from there?
Also the one-way car rentals will set you back a bit more than normal rentals (assuming you are renting?).
In my view it might be better to have more time to explore a smaller area.. than try to squeeze in too much.

Normally when I go to visit my wife's parents near Voss - even there a week is a time when I won't get more than 50-60km away from their house.
And still feel like there is much I haven't explored :)

Just got back from Voss and toured around the area. Took quite a few photos too! Fantastic place.

Back