Not bad for one Pixel shot

Fine looking bear he is, wasn't there last time I went. It looks as though you can get quite close also. Nice shot.

He arrived this week Steve. Victor was trying to say hello to him, but Pixel kept running off :D
They're in together at the moment as the other enclosures are a bit behind time

Last edited:
A fine capture - I am surprised to learn he is in the same enclosure as Victor, though! I must pop round for a looksee myself :)
P.S. Love the title (y)
Cheers Russ (y)
From what I heard/read before, they should be okay together as long as there's no females getting them excited and enough food for both. It was funny as Pixel tried to stay on the opposite side of the lake and Victor eventually wore himself out trying to get better acquainted :D

Nice one Neil, really must get up that way sometime this year

Nice one Neil, really must get up that way sometime this year
Thanks Ingrid (y) They have Giant Otters arriving soon and is definitely worth going if you are in the area.

Thanks Ingrid (y) They have Giant Otters arriving soon and is definitely worth going if you are in the area.

It will probably be a few days to do that and chester if I do make it, got a few others on my hit list too ;)

very nice shot looks like a good sized enclosure for them too:)

Nice one

Up here (Highland Wildlife Park) they've just brought in a female Polar Bear (Victoria) to join the two males (Walker & Arktos)

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-bear-highland-wildlife-park-birth-captivity

Victoria has had cubs before in 2008 so they're hoping cubs could be on the way.

Mercedes (previous Highland Wildlife Park female) who died at the old age of around 30 years old in April 2011 gave birth to the last cub born in Scotland in 1988.

Last edited:
Nice to see some pictures of the new addition. Went a few weeks ago before he arrived - looks like I have another reason to go now - that and the arrival of my 70-200 lens :)

I think I need to get a year pass - normally only go a couple of times a year but that may change.

Dave.

that looks really good, lots of space for them, thanks for posting:)
must be worth a trip up there next winter if we get any snow, with a bit of luck you could get some great shots of the Polar bears in the snow

I think I need to get a year pass - normally only go a couple of times a year but that may change.
Dave.
I was considering getting the year pass last week, although I live an hour and a half a way.

that looks really good, lots of space for them, thanks for posting:)
must be worth a trip up there next winter if we get any snow, with a bit of luck you could get some great shots of the Polar bears in the snow
No problem Pete. Definitely worth a trip down the M62 for you ;)

I was working there yesterday and the photographers were having a great time as pixel was playing with a bin lid and diving a lot.

Excellent stuff.
Have heard quite a lot about this place, how do you rate it? It's supposed to be fairly photography friendly.
Would be a long trip for me but hey, if it's worth it no problems!

cheers

Excellent stuff.
Have heard quite a lot about this place, how do you rate it? It's supposed to be fairly photography friendly.
Cheers Tony (y)

I think it's well worth a visit, even if it means a couple of hours in the motor. It's not the biggest collection of animals by a long stretch, but what they have is plenty of room and unobstructed views of Lions (lots of Lions), Tigers, Baboons, Lemurs, African Painted Dogs (recently moved into a new enclosure), various hoofed animals, a few smaller bits and pieces and of course the Polar Bears. The Leopards also have large enclosures, but apart from the overhead view, you would be shooting through wire or glass, but still able to get nice shots. Go for it ;)

Cheers Tony (y)

I think it's well worth a visit, even if it means a couple of hours in the motor. It's not the biggest collection of animals by a long stretch, but what they have is plenty of room and unobstructed views of Lions (lots of Lions), Tigers, Baboons, Lemurs, African Painted Dogs (recently moved into a new enclosure), various hoofed animals, a few smaller bits and pieces and of course the Polar Bears. The Leopards also have large enclosures, but apart from the overhead view, you would be shooting through wire or glass, but still able to get nice shots. Go for it ;)

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated.
Sounds as if it's a case of quality over quantity, reckon I"ll give it a go when time allows.

Cheers
Tony

Back