Not-DVLA phishing scam email

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I just received an email purporting to be from DVLA, asking me to update my profile. There's a file attached that says it is a "DVLA Form". This is scam, the sender address is a fake and I dread to think what the click-through form contains.
Do please delete on receipt.

This morning I had an automated phone call saying amazon are charging me for a whole years prime today, press 1 to cancel...

Then this afternoon has microsoft call about a computer in my house they are getting alerts from, windows 10, we are mac only here but despite that I kept him on the line for 35 minutes :D .

I do prefer a person calling, my thoughts are while they are talking to me there is probably one or two others they haven't scammed!

This morning I had an automated phone call saying amazon are charging me for a whole years prime today, press 1 to cancel...

Then this afternoon has microsoft call about a computer in my house they are getting alerts from, windows 10, we are mac only here but despite that I kept him on the line for 35 minutes :D .

I do prefer a person calling, my thoughts are while they are talking to me there is probably one or two others they haven't scammed!
The trouble with that is, they have your phone number but you don't have theirs!

I've had DVLA emails saying I need to pay for my car tax 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

The car is taxed until next march and we don't pay for it!!!!

I've had DVLA emails saying I need to pay for my car tax 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

The car is taxed until next march and we don't pay for it!!!!
Me too.
Apparently there are not enough funds and I need to send another payment...

The trouble with that is, they have your phone number but you don't have theirs!
I like to think if you waste enough of their time they will take you off the list, so they don't waste any more!

Even if it is not true, it is good fun.

My record is just over 52 minutes when I won a competition for a free holiday (timeshare).

I like to think if you waste enough of their time they will take you off the list, so they don't waste any more!

Even if it is not true, it is good fun.

My record is just over 52 minutes when I won a competition for a free holiday (timeshare).
I think you go on the list as a possible because you engage with them :(. Personally for unknown (and often unlikely) numbers I just don’t say anything immediately and ‘they’ drop the call almost immediately. Presumably the auto dialler thinks it’s an answering machine or similar.

Personally for unknown (and often unlikely) numbers I just don’t say anything immediately and ‘they’ drop the call almost immediately. Presumably the auto dialler thinks it’s an answering machine or similar.

This is what I do too.

FWIW I don’t get very many of them out of the blue I‘ll get maybe 2 every day and then they stop for months. Not sure if that means my ‘system’ is working or not. Actually I base it on old time personal salesmen. I quite like to listen to “patter” and used to tell them “I’m not going to buy anything but you can tell me about it if you like”. I found they were all upset when I didn’t buy :(.

I use a call blocking phone which is great until you get a notification call from someone like Paypal, then it's a pain in the A*** having to unblock the phone.

On the other han, I’ve just receive an sms saying “Serena has left a recorded message for me” dial etc ... . or go to a web page to unsubscribe. I’ve started to get those, infrequently, but annoying :mad:

Are they so dim that when I get a call purporting to be from BT and do I want to change to a different pay plan. I just put the phone down after saying something like it's a scam. After the last one I dialed 1471 and it wasn't a BT normal landline, but a mobile phone. Thick as the proverbial swines droppings.

My ex had a good trick, she would listen for a couple of seconds and say she has a pan boiling and go into the kitchen and make a point of making noises like pots and pans were being moved about. let's waste their time not ours.

On the other hand I have said in reply I cannot talk at present but ring 101 they may be interested

Are they so dim that when I get a call purporting to be from BT and do I want to change to a different pay plan. I just put the phone down after saying something like it's a scam. After the last one I dialed 1471 and it wasn't a BT normal landline, but a mobile phone. Thick as the proverbial swines droppings.

My ex had a good trick, she would listen for a couple of seconds and say she has a pan boiling and go into the kitchen and make a point of making noises like pots and pans were being moved about. let's waste their time not ours.

On the other hand I have said in reply I cannot talk at present but ring 101 they may be interested
They are not thick. The theory behind their practice is to make it fairly obvious it’s a scam (bad spelling, unlikely stories and so on) and then only the gullible/foolish will fall for it and those are the people they are looking for :(.

Just as a heads up, I had a spam text today from "EE" telling me they couldn't verify my details followed by the usual "CLICK HERE".

They are not thick. The theory behind their practice is to make it fairly obvious it’s a scam (bad spelling, unlikely stories and so on) and then only the gullible/foolish will fall for it and those are the people they are looking for :(.

yes this, they are only interested in hooking the dim witted as they stand a better chance of success.

yes this, they are only interested in hooking the dim witted as they stand a better chance of success.
And that is really my argument for not engaging with them however amusing or worthwhile people think it is. I don’t know how they judge ’marks’ but I doubt they analyse the answers they get, I expect just staying on the phone longer rates as ‘good’ and bumps you into the ‘possibles’ category and then you get more calls :(.

And that is really my argument for not engaging with them however amusing or worthwhile people think it is. I don’t know how they judge ’marks’ but I doubt they analyse the answers they get, I expect just staying on the phone longer rates as ‘good’ and bumps you into the ‘possibles’ category and then you get more calls :(.

i never do at all but i get very little on my mobile, mine is more email on some very old accounts i have.
oddly enough one of my old accounts is currently getting loads of norton av scams, update, best prices, we have found 99 virus's
i just delete them all once a week.

I wouldn't be pressing one to cancel either especially if that's what they said you should do.
That could be made to connect you to a £5/min 'helpline'

I wouldn't be pressing one to cancel either especially if that's what they said you should do.
That could be made to connect you to a £5/min 'helpline'

yeah absolutely, do not engage them in any way shape or form, it may seem like a laugh but they will then target you even more as you responded.
your number will end up moving on to more targetted scams.

Just had an automated call purporting to be from Amazon (using an English accent this time, rather than the usual ridiculous sounding USA one!) - apparently they are suspicious as they've received an order (they quoted an order number to make it sound official) which has been paid for on my card (they didn't say which card or give the last 4 digits like any reputable company would) for £1150. Press 1 to cancel the order or press 2 to be put through to the order manager (or whatever their wording was).

Yeah, right! More like press either to be connected to a £5 per minute chat line or to be scammed even more by the crook on the other end of the line, or to let us know you're a right mug so we can target you regularly from now on!

Last edited:
I once wound up some muppet who called me saying my PC was infected with virus and they needed to clean my PC. I decided to play along and acted dumb, I even used the old can't find a 'anykey' on the keyboard as well.
I expect eventually even more companies will start using 2 step verification like gmail and facebook now support as well as still reminding people that they won't ask for certain details over the phone or via email.
I do sometimes wonder about people and a lack of common sense but I certainly understand it can be more difficult for older people and vulnerable people, especially if they live alone. Every day I get junk mail for one scam or another but occasionally I read the odd one here and there just to see how ridiculous they are.

Last edited:

I still think they are thick, if not thick then they have no imagination. The old trick of claiming they are from BT or some where else and speaking with a heavy accent, is time expired to most who have their heads screwed on.

There again there are some silly people out at large who have a big illuminated neon sign above their heads 'I am waiting to be scammed'

You havn't had much contact with genuine call centre/support centre people have you.
Only ones who I have contacted myself and I know they are based overseas, such as Adobe and they are not trying to rip me off. (Illegally) Genuine companies do not ring you up to tell you there is a problem with your landline/internet/bank account and my Internet supplier all I have spoke to, have a Yorkshire accent. (To some that is foreign:oops: :$)

The DVLA helpline (and I use the word "help" loosely...) seems to be manned by halfwits with as broad a Swansea accent as they could find.

Only ones who I have contacted myself and I know they are based overseas, such as Adobe and they are not trying to rip me off. (Illegally) Genuine companies do not ring you up to tell you there is a problem with your landline/internet/bank account and my Internet supplier all I have spoke to, have a Yorkshire accent. (To some that is foreign:oops: :$)
Of course, but a 'foreign' accent is not in itself necessarily a reason for caution.
TBH neither is being called out of the blue.
Sometimes people are busy or tired and not as immediately alert as they might otherwise be ... what can be more convincing is some of the 'template' text message scams as more people are unaware of the crossover onto mobile phones.

The problem for otherwise clever people is that sometimes you are having problems with an Amazon order/your bank/computer (probably thousands are at any given moment) and a call can be appropriate and then it’s all to easy to fall for it.

The problem for otherwise clever people is that sometimes you are having problems with an Amazon order/your bank/computer (probably thousands are at any given moment) and a call can be appropriate and then it’s all to easy to fall for it.
That is exactly what happened to an ex-work colleague of mine, she was robbed of £900 on her card account when she opened an email from 'Amazon' & clicked on a dodgy link, however she managed to get it back from her bank. This was despite me (as IT Manager where we worked) continually hammering home the message to staff to be careful when opening emails and clicking on links.

That is exactly what happened to an ex-work colleague of mine, she was robbed of £900 on her card account when she opened an email from 'Amazon' & clicked on a dodgy link, however she managed to get it back from her bank. This was despite me (as IT Manager where we worked) continually hammering home the message to staff to be careful when opening emails and clicking on links.
People order stuff on Amazon, expect a tracking link the next day, it comes in the email and they click on it, done it myself and Amazon emails don’t clearly identify the item each time so a spammer can sent millions of long bogus Amazon-appearing links and some are bound to hit expectant shoppers :(.

I have received 33 emails in the last 7 days purporting to be from either Norton or Mcafee stating I need to urgently renew etc. The first was marked as junk and the address blocked but they kept coming as the source address changed each time, My wife received the same set of emails as well (different email). What was worse is that one of them set up notifications on Outlook on my iPad so the notifications kept appearing every few hours. I only have Avira to protect the iPad. The Government could deal with this and telephone spam if they really wanted to so why don't they?

Dave

Have had all these on top of one our neighbours stealing our post which contained several of our kids Christmas presents.

Once I am sure they are scammers I demand there credit card details as they have called a sex chat line- funnily they always hang-up ! (often with some expletives)

Back