Not pre wedding photos ...... but kinda are

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
This was a shoot I did for some friends, no current plans to get married but it was still that kinda pre wedding shoot that they wanted.

Those of you familiar with this area will no doubt recognise Chesterton Windmill in some of the photos and the other location we used was behind the Saxon Mill Pub.

1. Not a pre wedding shoot but I anticipate one in the future!
BPP-2013-06-09-012.jpg

2. Trampled through some nettles to get to this but I liked the textures on the tree.
BPP-2013-06-09-022.jpg

3. Rapeseed is everywhere this days!
BPP-2013-06-09-026.jpg

4. I got some pictures of them jumping individually but this one of them doing it at the same time is my fave.
BPP-2013-06-09-035A.jpg

5. Cant decide if I prefer the colour or black and white version of this.
BPP-2013-06-09-051.jpg

6. I did another version of this with the people in the background cloned out but I actually prefer them in it as they add scale to windmill.
BPP-2013-06-09-056.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely work as always Nick, is that rape field over the back of the Saxon mill? Chesterton windmill is always good for almost any type of shoot :)

Edit: really should read details rather than look at the photos, knew that field looked familiar :bonk:

Last edited:
Really nice images and looks like a lovely place. (y)
Have to say though that I would have preferred the cloned out guys in the BG on the last shot. I think you can tell the scale without them.

Cheera peeps.

I left the people in the background for some and took them out for others to cover the bases. Was actually very surprised when we got there that we were the only people there to start with, only ever seen it empty late at night in the past. Sure enough we were joined by others shortly after we arrived.

BPP-2013-06-09-057-1.jpg

These are all very nice and I prefer the peeps in the BG on that shot too!

Good set, reminds me must take a stroll to the windmill sometime soon.

Cheers for the comments peeps.

Regards shot number 5 a very experienced photographer friend from another forum posted some good advice on how I could have made it better that I think is worth sharing.

On 5, shooting with the sun in the frame is always tricky. You can get better results (i.e. a smoother gradient on the sun) if you DON'T use ISO50 as it's a "fake" ISO50. Shoot at 100 and use Lightroom/ACR/C1 to adjust. And underexpose the living heck out of the photo and push it in post, and then use adjustment brushes to paint all the sun detail back into the photo. Then you get a beautifully smooth gradient on the sun instead of the stepped look (white/grey/cyan/purplish/skyblue). Also, shooting at a higher (smaller) aperture will require less gradients to smooth out, and it will become more of a star shape. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the edges are higher contrast so it is much less sensitive to blow out gradients, so you can expose much hotter. F/16 is usually a good place to start if you want the star shape. Lenses with an even number of aperture blades will generate one point on a star per blade. And an odd number of blades will generate TWO points per blade. So your lens choice definitely will have an effect on how your sun will look.

and his website which is worth a look because he is a very good tog. http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/

Back