IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Another attempt :)

moon%20%28Small%29.jpg

Same setup as last time, 1/320 F5.6 ISO 100 mirror lock up, taken with self timer this time ! Moon is a bit fuller so bit more detail !

Took this today at 4.40pm, before it actually got dark hence slight colouration from sunset. It was pretty much a quick snapshot as I was putting my gear back in the car.

moon.jpg

1/250th, f/11 at 400mm. No mirror lockup and 400ISO. Tripod with corded remote release.

Can I play too?

Too late... I'm here now :)

You inspired me to go out in the cold.

20D, 100-400 f5.6 1/200th MLU + cable release

moon400.jpg

Then I tried again with the cheapy 1.4x telecon I have...

moon_telecon.jpg

Not sure if there really is less detail with the telecon or if its just different detail :)

help yaself to having a go too, im fascinated by this after we had some posts a few months ago :)

I got one off my brothers telescope, but hand holding the camera to the eyepiece wasnt very successful, but here it is !

IMG_4489-01%20%28Small%29.jpg

My friend has an 8" reflector telescope but he damaged the secondary mirror looking at sunspots during the summer. I bought a T2 adaptor and got some dodgy pictures of Saturn through it - which is when we found the mirror problem.

I was reading something the other day about a camera with a 200mm lens being piggy backed on an astro mount to cancel movement.

There were some pictures of nebulas (nebulae ?? whatever) OK star clusters - and they were excellent - apparently all with a std type lens. Multiple images were combined in some program to get the detail level.

Will have to find it again and read some more to try and understand it all. Don't know if a used mount off ebay would be up to it. My mates telescope would be a lot easier to use on a powered mount too!

My brothers telescope has a powered mount, but the weight of a camera on it would throw the balance, you can get webcam type things that attach to the telescope, and then use registax (the stacking software) to add many copies of an image to get the effect you want on it ! :) am looking into this now with my brother !

Some great shots there chaps! This 100-400L is proving to be pretty sharp! :)

Its not fair ....I don't have anything past 70mm :( . For once a case of Lens envy ;) . Great shots by the way guys

Moon seems near full now.

Framedmoon.jpg

Bit cloudy though :)

Frame was nice and easy ;)

I liked the clouds too. In fact there were nice white clouds at one time back lit by the moon. Looked really good to the eye.

I tried to photograph it but gave up. The moon is just too bright in comparison to the white clouds. I tried holding a coin taped to a thin stick to mask the moon - but of course it did not work. I could see some OOF shadow from it but not enough. Wonder if it might work with a bigger mask? I suppose PS cheating with 2 images is the only way.

Whilst considering this problem and looking through the viewfinder at the moon an airplane flew across the face of the moon as a perfect silhouette. My hand was not on the cable release. I said a bad word out loud. Fortunately there was no one to hear me.

The one you like looks to have a pretty grubby sensor :)

Well it was taken at f45.

If that doesn't show goobers up I don't know what will.

Now where's my toothbrush? :LOL:

Not wishing to be left out, stuck the FZ out of the flat window..... propped on a cushion from the sofa, sort of handheld! 420mm, iso80, f3.7, 1/13th, +1/3 EV, handheld-ish in RAW. Was propping the camera with my hands as I couldn't get the camera at high enough angle with the darned cushion. I NEED A TRIPOD!!!!

White balanced, cropped and corrected CS2 RAW's attempt at exposure compensation. Fiddled with levels and ran it through my 'for TPF action'

Moon_Clouds.jpg

RobertP said:
Moon seems near full now.

Framedmoon.jpg

Bit cloudy though :)

Frame was nice and easy ;)

Would it be safe to assume that was taken on the 100-400L with the 1.4 telecon? Giving you a focal length of around 850mm then? :censored:

I need a telecon adapter now! Grrrrrrrr!

No that was just the 100-400. on its own. The telecon is a real cheapie - Tamron make. It does not identify itself to the camera though so AF works fine even though it shouldn't. You can see its flaws though so I don't use it much.

All the better then! I can squeeze about 615mm out of the fz but it means dropping to 5Mp. And at that focal length trying to handhold shots of the moon is a joke. even with IS. All it does is crop the pic in camera. I've found it much better to shoot at full res and crop in PS.

Your shot does look quite a lot sharper. Whether that's to do with me not using a tripod or just quality I would like to know. Probably a combination of both!

Spencer, can't you prop on cushion & then fire self timer ?....thats the way I've got around no tripod in some circumstances ....although nearly lost an OM1 from a slippy rock in the middle of a fast flowing stream once this way (no cushion ;) ) , but that's another story

I did try that at first, but couldn't get the camera at a high enough angle to get the moon in. Kept sliding off the cushion ;) So end result was supporting the lens on my hand with the cam on the cushion. Again I tried the s/t but due to my benign natural tremor (AKA the cold draught) I seemed to be suffering from last night, the results weren't any better. :LOL:

Back