Not quite getting the timing right

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I thought " how hard can it be to set up and capture water drops"

well, it hard let me tell you- 2 x Godox flashgun - X pro trigger - Sony a7Riii and Sony 90mm macro lens- Manfrotto tripod and ball head

One wine glass - water with food colouring and a pastel BG and patience lots and lots of patience

VeLgz5U.jpg

and one with Red Wine I stole from the Mrs :)

Jcovdaf.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like them, especially the second one. I've never tried anything like this but I can imagine it's not straightforward like you described.

Think thats a cracking shot Les great technique would imagine as you say plenty patience.
Certainly caught it just right timing and patience eh Les.

It appears to be quite simple - you can get a laser type devise to fire the shutter as the water drop break's the beam- I don't have one of those lol :)

Was that the wife punishing you for nicking her wine ;)

Well spotted- typo amended

I quite like them, especially the second one. I've never tried anything like this but I can imagine it's not straightforward like you described.

It's not - try it- plenty of information on YouTube

These are great. Never tried it myself or Red wine ;)

I don't drink Red Wine- as said above the Mrs does :)

Did you have continuous shooting on or did you get lucky with single shooting ;) Great shots

No single shot- and try to get the timing right :) Not as easy as that sounds

This is how I did it-

Wine glass with water in - or Wine- I used a home made dropper - a small freezer bag with a hole in one corner- clip this to a home made stand about 2ft tall with a firm heavy base on the top an arm extending 90 degrees on the end of this a small woodworking clamp ( to hold the bag) I let the drops hit the glass and then insert a pencil into the glass where the water drops hit- this allows me to manually focus on the pencil - when removed from the glass I have manually set a focus point, to hopefully catch the drops as the hit the surface

2 Godox flash guns placed at45 degrees to subject - fired with a X Pro trigger on HSS

See I said it was was easy- thank you all for the comments

here's my best attempt- using the above system and placing a pastel BG behind the glass Pyrex dish I used for this shot

KD8rGU7.jpg

and a Mono one - Not sure if this works or not??

oLGF4Hm.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always comments are appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got the Splashart kit, it’s only works on Canon and Nikon. Even with that it’s hit and miss.
It takes lots of patience and lots of shots. I’m ok with the lots of shots, it’s the patience that I. not good with. Your getting there, keep at it, in the end you’ll get some amazing ones.

Last edited:
I’ve got the Splashart kit, it’s only works on Canon and Nikon. Even with that it’s hit and miss.
It takes lots of patience and lots of shots. I’m ok with the lots of shots, it’s the patience that I. not good with. Your getting there, keep at it, in the end you’ll get some amazing ones.

Thank you @Leroy4bz - I usually photograph mostly Wildlife- Birds- Insects ( hence the Macro lens) so a new area for me - I shoot Sony Mirrorless too :)

I could not justify spending money on a Slash Art kit for what I deem to be a filling time genre of my photography

Thank you for your comments

Back