Not quite what they seem

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
As my first post, a couple of pictures from my first and second trips out to use my newly acquired Nikon D60 with 18-55mm VR kit lens. Unfortunately the viewpoint is not easily changeable as I need a wheelchair to get around and attempting to stand up without crutches will result in a swift (and probably expensive:crying:) camera/face/ground meeting. However, I'd still be grateful for any tips on how I could improve my pictures.

As the title says though, the subjects are not quite what they seem at first glance.

Woburn Classic Car Show on 16 August 2009, f11 1/250th ISO 100
0001.jpg

Imperial War Museum, Duxford 25 August 2009, f8 1/3rd ISO 1600
0002.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TP, as far as these pictures are concerned, there really aren't anything wrong with them. Colours and exposure are pretty spot on. Just one minor niggle and that I'd like the absence of people around that car, but I guess it cannot be helped if there are lots of people milling about.
And if it's of any consolation, 99% of the time I often find myself crouching down to get my shots, so you shouldn't have to feel bad about not being able to stand upright to take photos.

The tank one isn't full sized, is it? (it's got that model look about it) :D

Last edited:
The Tiger mock up is impressive, iirc it was built and used in Saving Private Ryan. The image looks nice and sharp and devoid of excessive noise considering it's taken at 1/3rd and ISO1600

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment, it's much appreciated.

The car looks like a peculiarly distorted Jaguar Mk 2 but the registration number makes that an impossibility: it's actually a Mitsouka Viewt. As you say it's a pity about the people in shot but I had waited to get the clearest view I could and didn't think I could expect the owners to move out of the way. Maybe when I have developed a bit more skill in PP I can clone them out.

Spot on with the tank: it's a full size model or replica of a Tiger, constructed for the film Saving Private Ryan and also used in Band of Brothers. Underneath it's actually a Russian T34 but it's so well done that it totally threw me.

If anyone is thinking of visiting Duxford, it's a great day out but the site is huge and quite spread out (it's a former RAF base) so does take a full day to see everything. Most of the aircraft hangers are reasonably lit and there's usually planes on view outside but the Land Warfare Hall, where the Tiger replica can be found, is very dimly lit.

Back