'Not Responding' -----

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Often now I get a 'Not Responding' notice when I try to log in to Yahoo or some other sites -- if I keep clicking the page goes all Faint and White and the little Blue Circle thing going around for ages -- then suddenly it 'Clears' What is happening - Help please ! I'm 86 but I do know a bit about Computers now - I went on a course and found out that a 'Mouse' was Not a 'Little Furry Creature that Ran Along the Skirting Boards Indoors that I Shot with an Air Gun'

It's normal for an application to go faint when it's not responding so not something to worry about. At the moment it's hard to tell whether your problem is local or internet so a little more information, please. Which browser are you using? Is your PC's connection to your router wired or wireless? Tell us a bit about your PC like how old it is, what version of Windows, etc.

We're probably not the only ones who call that spinning thing the spinning wheel of death.

Often now I get a 'Not Responding' notice when I try to log in to Yahoo or some other sites -- if I keep clicking the page goes all Faint and White and the little Blue Circle thing going around for ages -- then suddenly it 'Clears' What is happening - Help please ! I'm 86 but I do know a bit about Computers now - I went on a course and found out that a 'Mouse' was Not a 'Little Furry Creature that Ran Along the Skirting Boards Indoors that I Shot with an Air Gun'
Pete, this is such a massive question and one not easily answered without understanding what Hardware and operating system you are running. It could even be a broadband issue so I'd check that first. Type in fast.com and run a broadband speed check.

It could well be bunged up with cookies and other extraneous rubbish.
Make sure you have all your passwords and logins backed up ( on a bit of paper ) then download and run CCleaner ( AKA Crapcleaner) you will be amazed at what its gets rid of , but it will log you out of web sites and clear out cookies etc hence the need for knowing your passwords as you will probably have to log in again.

There is a very simple tool called "ping" on every modern operating system, which will tell you if your connection to the web is slow, which is one possible cause of the "blue circle".

Full details of how to use the Windows version are here...

and the "prettier" OS-X version for the Mac is here...

If your results are 16msec or less, then it isn't your network connection causing the problem (though the problem may be with the particular site).

Try clearing all your cookies and do a hard restart

WoW !! Lots of HELP here ! SO -- Fairly OLD Computer now -- came from daughter I have HP ENVY m6 Computer, Windows 10 64 BIT, INTEL CORE i5-321OM CPU @ 2.50 GHz , 8.0 GB RAM, INTEL HD Graphics 4000 and YES I HAVE C Cleaner and know how to use it. Broadband is with VODAPHONE and there is a connection to a wall socket but my Printer works with 'Wireless' I got 48 MB per second

Last edited:
WoW !! Lots of HELP here ! SO -- Fairly OLD Computer now -- came from daughter I have HP ENVY m6 Computer, Windows 10 64 BIT, INTEL CORE i5-321OM CPU @ 2.50 GHz , 8.0 GB RAM, INTEL HD Graphics 4000 and YES I HAVE C Cleaner and know how to use it. Broadband is with VODAPHONE and there is a connection to a wall socket but my Printer works with 'Wireless' I got 48 MB per second

IDEA: Try the web-browser 'Google Chrome' just to see what happens ? (google it, download it and run it, it's all good in my experience).

firstly I would say forget Yahoo its dead as a dead thing
use google chrome and just see what happens

I use 'Google Chrome' - the 'Not Responding' came on my Yahoo MAIL page

I would use another browser to access Yahoo. Bing if you have it installed, or download FireFox, because it is not based on Chrome, and try that.

If that works, then you can try clearing the cookies from Chrome, after noting all the passwords/auto sign ins that may be stored in Chrome, ;) as they will probably go after clearing the cookies. That may reset Chrome, and allow you to use it again. If it is still does not play ball, uninstall and re-install Chrome.

Just as an aside, I have 4 browsers on my PC which I use for different things when needed. FireFox is my default for most things. Brave for anything I don't want tracked, particularly my banking. Chrome for compatibility, because websites are designed to work with Chrome because of its market dominance. And Bing for live webcams which I like to watch occasionally, and searching for images using the Bing search site, which I find better than Google image search.

Back