Not seen one of these before - ? Ladybird cocoon (Edit: Ladybird Pupa)

Thank you @Andy Johnson - there were about 15 that I could see at different stages... The ? younger ones reared up when I moved near them - a defence mechanism?

And a bit of info for those like me that didn't know the difference:

A pupa is an insect in a stage of transformation; pupae is the plural of pupa; the pupa life stage is called the pupal stage;

Chrysalis is the correct name to use for a moth pupa or a butterfly pupa; chrysalises is the plural of chrysalis;

Cocoon is the name to use for the outer layer that protects a pupa or chrysalis during metamorphoses.

When referring to insects in this transformative stage, it can be easy to simply refer to them as ‘cocoons’ if they indeed have such a protective coating.

However this isn’t an entirely accurate description to use.

It is not only better but also correct to use pupae if they are insects and you do not known the correct name for them or chrysalises if they are moths or butterflies.

:)

Couldn't have said it any better :)

As you know Lady birds, adult and larvae rely on their colour for defence and a reminder of their toxicity but swallows and swifts are immune to their chemical compounds. Also if the colour warning doesnt work they can ooze out a foul liquid from their limbs which is called "Reflex bleeding" I don't know about the pupae's defence but perhaps those branches behind it also emit a fluid ??? something to google perhaps ?

Back