Not sure this count's as "portraits" but still need advice!

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Been asked to do pictures for a friend (girl) who's looking at modelling for a car company (modified cars) and I just wondered if you had any tips? Lighting isn't something I can really effect as I have no lighting gear, just my tripod...thinking of going for my 17-70mm sigma lens as opposed to the 55-200 obviously

I guess the posing side of things will be down to her? I think she's after a portfolio eventually but I've said i'm not going to charge her as I've never done something like this before

All input welcome (y)

Here's a few tips;

Don't let the model run the shoot, as you've mentioned she will come up with her own poses but don't rely on it otherwise it makes you seem unconfident.

For lighting, flash would have been excellent but as you say you have no access to that sort of lighting so what I would recommend is driving the car to a nice location with decent weather and think of how the location contrasts with the car, for example, you could use a field as that is quite a common way and you might be able to get decent lighting.

For location, as I've mentioned above somewhere with light will be best so shooting in garages and workshops is a no because of the dim lighting available.

For price it is all dependant. what form of service does she want, prints? CD? etc. also account your time, travelling and factor in costs even things like food and coffee need to be accounted for in order for you to get maximum profit. I would work out your hours x min wage, then add all costs onto it (including the printing etc) and see how much it comes up to and then add a few quid on that you think the shoot was worth to you, so if all your costs came up to £70 then give her a price of £100 and so you have made £30 profit plus your hours working and then your costs cover everything else.

hope this helps you.

Great reply! Thanks, everything taken into consideration :)

I really don't think I can charge though (except ant costs to me I.e. Printing etc.) I'll see how it goes an maybe post a few samples up to see what you guy's make of them

Thanks!

Luke

Back