Beginner Not sure whats wrong.

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
p821339966-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Picture is straight from camera, Nikon D700 with 70-200 f2.8 vr. I have noticed dark corners appearing in my pics but only on the last couple of outings with camera. Also when im viewing pics in camera they are a lot brighter than on my laptop, is it my laptop or is there anything else im doing wrong, Any help would be great.

Last edited:
of to check:exit:

Just checked and its in FX mode.

Picture is straight from camera, Nikon D700 with 70-200 f2.8 vr. I have noticed dark corners appearing in my pics but only on the last couple of outings with camera.

It looks like ordinary vignetting- common with lots of lenses -particularly using a full frame camera. Easily fixed in processing (if you want or need to).

Also when im viewing pics in camera they are a lot brighter than on my laptop, is it my laptop or is there anything else im doing wrong

It just means your camera and laptop screens are calibrated to a different brightness level. For what it's worth your pic above looks a bit dark on my PC with calibrated screen.

Probably something very simple but I just haven't got a clue, looked through pretty much every setting in camera and I cant see a reason. thank you for the quick reply.

It looks like ordinary vignetting- common with lots of lenses -particularly using a full frame camera. Easily fixed in processing (if you want or need to).

It just means your camera and laptop screens are calibrated to a different brightness level. For what it's worth your pic above looks a bit dark on my PC with calibrated screen.

Why would I have not seen it before with other pics?

I will look into calibrating my laptop. Appreciate your reply thank you

Natural vignetting combined with underexposure will make the corners dark. Most lenses with a wide open aperture will vignette to a degree, and the underexposure makes it more obvious. Assuming you're in Aperture Priority mode, check you haven't accidentally got exposure compensation set at a negative value.

Lens hood not attached properly?

Now and again I knock the hood on my 17-55 and I notice a dark corner. It explains why 'it only just happened'

As for the screens? Calibration. You can't expect 2 different screens to show the same thing 'out of the box' unless you paid a lot of money for them (high end displays that are designed with calibration in mind tend to be close to perfect on delivery)

Morning all, camera set on auto iso and in manual mode, no over or under exposure set on camera!

If you use lightroom there will be a lens preset will remove vignette.
It's not always a bad thing and can add ambience to some shots such as landscape or portraits.

Nikon D700 has vignetting correction in-camera, it's under Picture Controls.

As said by Phil, check the lens hood ;)

Thank you all for comments and helpful tips,

I think that if you are using the DX mode on the D700 at certain zoom setting you will see some vignetting in the view finder ……… is that what you are saying

I read about it but have never noticed in with my D700 as I never use DX mode

Last edited:
Yeah sorry I changed the pic on my site forgetting it would change on here.

Different pic but still the same problem.

No obvious vignetting in that one. Did Hoppy's instructions not help?

Not been out to try but going out tomorrow night at game.

Yes very true but when your looking after your 10 month old and 2 1/2 yr old time is a luxury I dont have lol

If you're using the V1 version of the lens it did have something of a reputation for vignetting wide open. I never saw it as a problem, but that will be what you see

in the photo i have shown the vignette control is ON so not much help to be honest.hth mike

Oh I do apologise. It was the first thought I had. Sorry about that, ill remember not to give a s*** next time.

Oh I do apologise. It was the first thought I had. Sorry about that, ill remember not to give a s*** next time.
i did'nt mean your answer "silly boy" i meant the camera vignette control doh some people are way too sensitive ;)

i did'nt mean your answer "silly boy" i meant the camera vignette control doh some people are way too sensitive ;)

Oops, appears I missed a smiley off of my previous post. I didnt take offence :D...but the 'silly boy' comment? Well, thats tipped me over the edge...

;)

(high end displays that are designed with calibration in mind tend to be close to perfect on delivery)

Sorry but that's not true.

They aren't. Eizo make no attempt to calibrate their screens. Mine arrived looking green! They assume that if you're paying £2200 on a screen, you're going to calibrate it.

Some Dell screens come "pre-calibrated" but it's only a "that'll do" attempt. Plus... even if they arrived perfect, monitors need regular calibration. So if they did arrive correct, they wouldn't remain correct for long.

Back