Not what I had planned....

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

went out for a seascape last night with the comp pretty much already planned in my head. Light was looking not bad(ish) so I was hopeful of getting what I was after. When I arrived I realised I'd made a basic error.....forgot to check the tide times....no water.:LOL:

7600588750_2b256a4faa_c.jpg

that is bang on the money (y)

perfectly lit in the foreground and lovely cloud formations... couldn't have wished for any better composition :clap:

I think that's absolutely great and water would have spoiled it completely.(y)

Who needs water when you get a result like that! Cracking!!

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely stunning! No need for water when you can get shots like that! Well done!

Lovely.

As already said, who needs water. It would have made it just another beach shot. Albeit a lovely one. With the lack of water, it set's it apart.

Brilliant shot. I love the light and the ripples in the sand

Thats one of the best I have seen on here recently Stu...lovely composition and PP

Thanks for the comments guys. Aye Stu, the old lighthouse at Talacre could do with a lick of paint now.

Wow, what processing did you use, did you bracket?

Thanks again guys.

ST4 - in a nut shell, a bracket of 9 with a whole load of faffing about. Life would have been so much easier with the sun just under the horizon, or behind a cloud, but you miss the nice shadows it gives at this time of day then.

Nice shot however I'm going to buck the trend here and say it's not quite there for me. Shots like this are all about getting the balance right between the foreground and background and in this shot I think the rocks are too dominant and the lighthouse a little too small. So a bit nearer the lighthouse and 1 rock in the foreground would have been better I think. Sky is fantastic.

There we all go trying to get the perfect sea shot and you throw the whole thing in to total confusion. This week will be full of low tide shots.
Great image and a nice change from 10 stop high tides.

Do you mind me asking what equipment you used? Such as filters, lens etc?

I ask because this image is what I aspire to take, so your input and help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again for the comments guys.

Do you mind me asking what equipment you used? Such as filters, lens etc?

I ask because this image is what I aspire to take, so your input and help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Nick, the kit is nothing exotic, just a D200 and a Sigma 10-20mm. As for filters - none.

Aye, it's a HDR. Now I know straight away that's going to put some people off the shot, and I understand why too. The trouble with HDR, well there's a few. Firstly it can leave some pretty obvious signs, for example halos, loss of shadow, lacking contrast and depth, awful CA, just to name a few. If you're aware of these issues it is possible to get rid of them, or at least reduce their visibility in the shot. With no one mentioning it so far, I guess maybe I've succeeded to a degree with this one.

The second problem with HDR, we see too much poor HDR, or it used where it simply isn't necessary. I see it used to balance the most benign of landscape shots, where simple manual blending would give much realistic and pleasing results, it's just not as easy as it is to hit the 'create HDR' button. How many threads do we see here where it says 'warning - HDR'? It should say 'warning poor HDR', or give no warning at all as the viewer would probably never notice if it's done well. Of course obvious HDR also has its merits, and of course I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, though I do think people become averse to HDR because of the countless times we see the poor use of it.

This shot would have been pretty tricky to blend, due to the bright low sun, and the shadows in the shot, but by using HDR I was able to get the balance between really bright and dark areas, where using filters wouldn't allow due to the complexity of their positioning, least for someone of my limited talents.

My workflow for this shot was a bracket of 9 with 1EV steps for the bottom half of the shot, then the same for the top half. The reason for two? It gives me more flexibility in composition, as I don't have a TS lens, also it gives me a big file to work with, which can translate to a big print, this one's 4432 x 5248, or a 22mb Jpeg, so there's plent of 'fat' on it to work with. Once I've created the HDR's I don't just accept the defaults Photomatix spits out, they're too 'HDR' if that makes sense, and not what I wanted for this shot, so don't be afraid to adjust those sliders, which direction depends entirely on what you're after. After I'm happy with those (though they still need a lot of work), it's into PS to create the panorama. Normally this also doesn't come out as I want, do sometimes it gets a bit of a distort. Once you've got your panorama, it's the usual layers of levels and curves, and all the rest of it. This particular shot went for PS to LR countless times before I was happy with it.

So, hope that helps as far as the processing of the shots involves. I didn't include it at the beginning because I though some might instantly dislike the shot should HDR be mentioned in the same post. I'm sure that some of the posters here have spotted it was a HDR.

Last edited:
stuartpengs said:
Thanks again for the comments guys.

Hi Nick, the kit is nothing exotic, just a D200 and a Sigma 10-20mm. As for filters - none.

Aye, it's a HDR. Now I know straight away that's going to put some people off the shot, and I understand why too. The trouble with HDR, well there's a few. Firstly it can leave some pretty obvious signs, for example halos, loss of shadow, lacking contrast and depth, awful CA, just to name a few. If you're aware of these issues it is possible to get rid of them, or at least reduce their visibility in the shot. With no one mentioning it so far, I guess maybe I've succeeded to a degree with this one.

The second problem with HDR, we see too much poor HDR, or it used where it simply isn't necessary. I see it used to balance the most benign of landscape shots, where simple manual blending would give much realistic and pleasing results, it's just not as easy as it is to hit the 'create HDR' button. How many threads do we see here where it says 'warning - HDR'? It should say 'warning poor HDR', or give no warning at all as the viewer would probably never notice if it's done well. Of course obvious HDR also has its merits, and of course I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, though I do think people become averse to HDR because of the countless times we see the poor use of it.

This shot would have been pretty tricky to blend, due to the bright low sun, and the shadows in the shot, but by using HDR I was able to get the balance between really bright and dark areas, where using filters wouldn't allow due to the complexity of their positioning, least for someone of my limited talents.

My workflow for this shot was a bracket of 9 with 1EV steps for the bottom half of the shot, then the same for the top half. The reason for two? It gives me more flexibility in composition, as I don't have a TS lens, also it gives me a big file to work with, which can translate to a big print, this one's 4432 x 5248, or a 22mb Jpeg, so there's plent of 'fat' on it to work with. Once I've created the HDR's I don't just accept the defaults Photomatix spits out, they're too 'HDR' if that makes sense, and not what I wanted for this shot, so don't be afraid to adjust those sliders, which direction depends entirely on what you're after. After I'm happy with those (though they still need a lot of work), it's into PS to create the panorama. Normally this also doesn't come out as I want, do sometimes it gets a bit of a distort. Once you've got your panorama, it's the usual layers of levels and curves, and all the rest of it. This particular shot went for PS to LR countless times before I was happy with it.

So, hope that helps as far as the processing of the shots involves. I didn't include it at the beginning because I though some might instantly dislike the shot should HDR be mentioned in the same post. I'm sure that some of the posters here have spotted it was a HDR.

This is all way over my head, but an amazing shot, looks like you to went to a great deal of effort to achieve it.

..... Aye, it's a HDR......

I hate it now ;) :LOL:

I enjoy playing with HDR, but I have no idea what I'm doing, so I fall into the category you mention. That's why I've never posted any. When used subtly, as here, it can bring so much to an image. Equally, in the right circumstances, an OTT HDR can really kick ass too.

Still think this is a cracking shot.

Water??? Pah! Its overrated looking at this - Lovely photo! As Carl says...

thats great. almost like a lighthouse in a desert ! :) cracking!

Spot on, exactly what I was thinking!

Really like this one. Water would just have spoiled the textures from the sand and the rocks

Really like this too, as for all the processing on it, I haven't a clue where you would start!

Phil

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

brilliant photo, when you say you adjusted the sliders do you mean in photomatrix?

Hi, Darthchaffinch, yes I adjust quite a lot in Photomatix if I'm doing a HDR, different amounts depending on the shot.

Back