Notebooks?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
How many of you take a notebook with you to jot down settings etc? I'm new to the digital lark, so it may be that I can read these from the digital info somewhere???

The info is embedded in the photo, you should be able to see it easily on your camera - look for exif data in the manual.
It will also be available in most editing programs, if you have not got it already download Nikon Capture NX-D which is free, it will allow you to edit the photo and see all the info.

You can read all your camera settings if you've got an editing program like Photoshop. Load up a photo and then go to File, File Info in the menu system. If you've got Lightroom you can see each photo info bottom right in the Library module. There's probably other ways in other editing programs too, but Photoshop/Lightroom are the ones I mainly use.

There are also online Exif Viewers you can upload a photo to in your web browser, and there are downloadable Exif Viewers. Essentially there are a number of easy ways to get the info you'd need without needing a notebook. However, a notebook also gives you the chance to record other things like direction of light, time and type of day, features of the location, notes on any landmarks etc

Last edited:
I have a notebook, but I rarely use it for settings.

If you have Lightroom, CTRL+J will bring up the view options window which allows you to specify what is shown on the screen next to your photo. Filename, camera, lens, and shooting information can all be displayed. You can have different setups for Loupe mode (single image) and Grid mode (multiple images)

In Lightroom tap the 'I' key to scroll through setting info which appears top left of the picture.

If you have Lightroom, CTRL+J will bring up the view options window which allows you to specify what is shown on the screen next to your photo. Filename, camera, lens, and shooting information can all be displayed. You can have different setups for Loupe mode (single image) and Grid mode (multiple images)

That's what I love about forums, there's always new tips on how to do things. Thanks guys

yes but not for camera settings, more effects of tide - some locations have a 30 minute window for the shot. Notes on where tide may come up to. where to take shots from so that i can replicate an image with better conditions. Also note down parking spots, how to access and how far a walk. And most importantly for world peace where the nearest loo is if the Mrs comes with.

yes but not for camera settings, more effects of tide - some locations have a 30 minute window for the shot. Notes on where tide may come up to. where to take shots from so that i can replicate an image with better conditions. Also note down parking spots, how to access and how far a walk. And most importantly for world peace where the nearest loo is if the Mrs comes with.
All very true. I thank you (and my missus thanks you!). :)

The info is embedded in the photo, you should be able to see it easily on your camera - look for exif data in the manual.
It will also be available in most editing programs, if you have not got it already download Nikon Capture NX-D which is free, it will allow you to edit the photo and see all the info.
Just downloaded the Nikon Capture NX-D, so will keep me busy for a while, getting to grips with it! I've managed to do some editing but struggled to find how to save the altered image! Doh!

Just downloaded the Nikon Capture NX-D, so will keep me busy for a while, getting to grips with it! I've managed to do some editing but struggled to find how to save the altered image! Doh!
It is a bit confusing but you do not have to save the altered image as it is saved automatically! The actual image is not changed but all the edits are saved in a "sidecar" file which is applied to the image when you open it again in NX-D. If you want to get back to the original image there is a revert button (looks like a reverse arrow).
You can convert the image to JPEG or TIFF if you want to do further editing with a different program or share it with someone else

It is a bit confusing but you do not have to save the altered image as it is saved automatically! The actual image is not changed but all the edits are saved in a "sidecar" file which is applied to the image when you open it again in NX-D. If you want to get back to the original image there is a revert button (looks like a reverse arrow).
You can convert the image to JPEG or TIFF if you want to do further editing with a different program or share it with someone else
My last "sidecar" was attached to a Vincent Comet Motorcycle! Thanks for the heads up on saving.

On nikon dslr’s if you view the picture on camera screen and press the down button it brings up several screens with different information, such as histograms. Settings etc.

The thing is, why would I want to know the settings?
Every scene will have a different exposure setting and has no bearing on any other scene.
A quick glance at the histogram will tell you if you have the correct exposure.

Every scene will have a different exposure setting and has no bearing on any other scene.
I'm a bit of a digital virgin, so I'm learning all the time. Never had the time to study the "modern" tech. Back in the sixties, it was wait and see how they came out (or didn't) before you found out your mistakes! This modern "take fifty shots to get one" approach is still a bit alien! I would have gone back to 35mm film work but at my age you don't have that much time left!!!

What about depth of field with different apertures, camera or subject blur with different speeds, noise with different ISO. All useful when you are learning.

What about depth of field with different apertures, camera or subject blur with different speeds, noise with different ISO. All useful when you are learning.
What aout them?
Every exposure is different.
Try chimping :)

I'm a bit of a digital virgin, so I'm learning all the time. Never had the time to study the "modern" tech. Back in the sixties, it was wait and see how they came out (or didn't) before you found out your mistakes! This modern "take fifty shots to get one" approach is still a bit alien! I would have gone back to 35mm film work but at my age you don't have that much time left!!!
I started in the 70's
I don't take 50 shots to see how they turn out - complete waste of time.
Use the tools that are available on virtually every camera nowadays - histogram, rear screen, live view etc

Ah Yes! I remember all those now. Adjust the ISO when you put the film in, aperture and speed adjusted for stills, moving target and light available. See, it is all coming back to me. It's just applying it to the Nikon from all those menus, sub menus etc., etc! :)

Sorry, being a bit of a stickler here: you don't have to go into menus to adjust shutter, aperture, ISO on a Nikon D5000
You're throwing up difficulties that don't exist.
As an aside, I was out with my Contax RTS II today loaded with HP5, taking pics of the woods through the mist on my afternoon walk...

Sorry, being a bit of a stickler here: you don't have to go into menus to adjust shutter, aperture, ISO on a Nikon D5000
You're throwing up difficulties that don't exist.
As an aside, I was out with my Contax RTS II today loaded with HP5, taking pics of the woods through the mist on my afternoon walk...
I'll do some more reading of the handbook. Steep learning curve from a 1960's 35mm to a 2010 digi!

I'll do some more reading of the handbook. Steep learning curve from a 1960's 35mm to a 2010 digi!
Yep :)
They are basically the same though.
It's just the extras that takes time to fathom out - and you don't really need them.

DoF is affected as much by subject distance as by aperture.
subject blur as much by subject speed as shutter speed
Noise more by under exposure than high ISO.

So unless you can compute the subject distance / aperture relationship in your head,

or the speed of the subject across the frame v shutter speed

then you’ve only got half the useful information required to repeat a shot. And if you can do those calculations in your head on the fly, you really are smart enough to work out these things without the clues in the exif.

honestly just understanding the principals (properly) is much more useful than slavishly reading ‘settings’.

I do keep a small notebook in my camera bag ( and a small ball pen) but I have no interest in keeping record of camera settings as everything I could possibly want is in the EXIF data anyway. But sometime I want to write down names places and ideas, which are usually far more important.
I suppose I should just use my phone, but a notebook seems far easier.

Re. Lightroom shortcuts.These may be useful.
Some of them may have changed now.

Keys for working with panels

Show/hide side panelsTabTab
Show/hide all panelsShift + TabShift + Tab
Show/hide toolbarTT
Show/hide Module PickerF5F5
Show/hide FilmstripF6F6
Show/hide left panelsF7F7
Show/hide right panelsF8F8
Toggle solo modeAlt-click a panelOption-click a panel
Open a new panel without closing soloed panelShift-click a panelShift-click a panel
Open/close all panelsCtrl-click a panelCommand-click a panel
Open/close left panels, top to bottomCtrl + Shift + 0 - 5Command + Control + 0 - 5
Open/close right panels, Library and Develop modules, top to bottomCtrl + 0 - 8Command + 0 - 8
Open/close right panels, Slideshow, Print, and Web modules, top to bottomCtrl + 1 - 7Command + 1 - 7

Keys for navigating modules

ResultWindowsMac OS
Go to Library moduleCtrl + Alt + 1Command + Option + 1
Go to Develop moduleCtrl + Alt + 2Command + Option + 2
Go to Slideshow moduleCtrl + Alt + 3Command + Option + 3
Go to Print moduleCtrl + Alt + 4Command + Option + 4
Go to Web moduleCtrl + Alt + 5Command + Option + 5
Go back / go forwardCtrl + Alt + Left Arrow / Ctrl + Alt + RIght ArrowCommand + Option + Left Arrow / Command + Option + Right Arrow
Go back to previous moduleCtrl + Alt + Up ArrowCommand + Option + Up Arrow

Keys for changing views and screen modes

ResultWindowsMac OS
Enter Library Loupe viewEE
Enter Library Grid viewGG
Enter Library Compare viewCC
Enter Library Survey viewNN
Open selected photo in the Develop moduleDD
Cycle forward / backward through Lights Out modesL / Shift + LL / Shift + L
Toggle Lights Dim modeCtrl + Shift + LCommand + Shift + L
Cycle screen modesFF
Previous screen modeShift + F
Switch between Normal and full-screen, hide panelsCtrl + Shift + FCommand + Shift + F
Go to Normal screen modeCtrl + Alt + FCommand + Option + F
Cycle info overlayII
Show/hide info overlayCtrl + ICommand + I

Keys for using a secondary window

Note:
The shortcuts for using the secondary window are the same as the equivalent shortcuts in the Library module, with the Shift key added.

ResultWindowsMac OS
Open secondary windowF11Command + F11
Enter Grid viewShift + GShift + G
Enter normal Loupe viewShift + EShift + E
Enter locked Loupe viewCtrl + Shift + EnterCommand + Shift + Return
Enter Compare viewShift + CShift + C
Enter Survey viewShift + NShift + N
Enter Slideshow viewCtrl + Alt + Shift + EnterCommand + Option + Shift + Return

Back