Notice : "New Posts", "Threads started by me" & "Search" etc are temporarily disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, Search, New Posts, "My Posts" and related features are
TEMPORARILY disabled until (hopefully) later today.....

Just for a very very short time while we try and take a closer look at what is happening to make TP fall over. We've had to disable the search.

Unfortunately this means that a few functions are based on this, namely My Posts, My Threads, Find all posts by etc.
You see, the search is the most intensive of activities anyone can do on this site.
And with many many people using it all the time, it's having quite a hit on the server.

So for the time being, you will either not see search links at all, or will get a no permission error.

Please note this is an interim measure to see if it has a massive impact on the site performance (I'm monitoring the backend, ooer!), and we hope to have it on very shortly.

Not tonight though :)
I do understand it detracts from your use and enjoyment of the site, and as an interim measure I'll be adding a google search box for you. (Look out for a new search link on the navbar)

Last edited:
Can we have a Staropramen tap on the navbar as well, pretty please?

Oh that explains then.......

A minute ago I was searching for all posts from a certain user, which basically wasn't happening :D

Was just about to report it!!

Does that include the "new posts" button?

For anyone missing the search function you can search like this as a temp measure....

• Goto Google and click advanced search
  • Enter www.talkphotography.co.uk into the "website to search" field at the bottom
  • Enter your search criterea above and hey presto...

Last edited:
Does that include the "new posts" button?

Unfortunately it does mate :( It's a specific search so we have to hold off.
It's not something I want to do tbh, the search function is incredibly incredibly useful.
However it *is* only very temporary, to see what we and GlobalGold (the hosts) can figure out.

Unfortunately it does mate :( It's a specific search so we have to hold off.
It's not something I want to do tbh, the search function is incredibly incredibly useful.
However it *is* only very temporary, to see what we and GlobalGold (the hosts) can figure out.

OK:crying::)

This doesn't bother me at all - it makes my toolbar line up properly (800x600 screen...) and since one can use Google to search the site anyway there is no real loss. If the search is hitting the site that bad, why not permanently employ Google's power?

This doesn't bother me at all - it makes my toolbar line up properly (800x600 screen...) and since one can use Google to search the site anyway there is no real loss. If the search is hitting the site that bad, why not permanently employ Google's power?

Unfortunately while as good and powerful as google is. Many TP functions are based on the internal search facility. Google can't search for new posts based on your cookie / last visit, search by member etc etc.
These make up the uniqueness of the VB search which we use alot :(

Unfortunately while as good and powerful as google is. Many TP functions are based on the internal search facility. Google can't search for new posts based on your cookie / last visit, search by member etc etc.
These make up the uniqueness of the VB search which we use alot :(

O I C. How unfortunate. Hopefully the creases can be ironed out without too much fuss.

:agree:

I can live without the search a previous forum I used had poor search facility and I would often use the google workaround.

Saying that I would miss the 'new posts' option :(

Steve

How many, honestly, have got a clue what Marcel is on about?...........Be honest.

I do, but then I've been a forum admin and poked around the innards of vBulletin. :)

I believe there's a few drop-in search replacements. Full text is particularly heavy on servers, and also difficult to implement well. Might be worth some research. :)

A hamster?

The hamster runs the generator but it does get tired. I think a guinea pig upgrade is required or alternatively 2 rabbits. Then as we get more users the rabbits can auto generate their replacements.

We need a hamster genetically crossed with a mole.

At least then when it died it would have already buried itself!

(Yes, I did watch it before you ask! ;))

How many, honestly, have got a clue what Marcel is on about?...........Be honest.

Unfortunatly yes... I made a messageboard once.. in perl ... for my own project. long gone.

I think Marcel said we switched to a dedicated server a while ago.

<<<missing the 'new posts' function!!! But the entertainment to be had on this thread makes up for it!

I have tried searching for this thread and cannot find it :shrug:

The hamster runs the generator but it does get tired. I think a guinea pig upgrade is required or alternatively 2 rabbits. Then as we get more users the rabbits can auto generate their replacements.

I believe the old server was so old it ran using a Tricerotops. Unfortunately the Daily Mail ran a story saying this dinosaur never existed (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1299666/Triceratops-really-existed.html) so they had to rapidly upgrade to Hamster power.

Cowasaki - Rabbit power has been proven to be ineffective. The rabbits spend too long doing what rabbits do and the rapid rise in numbers consume too much for such a limited power output. I believe for the really big server farms it's Llama power now, with the added advantage of the wool which can be used to pull over users eyes.

I don't know if this has been asked before but does that mean people can now get away with posting "I don't know if this has been asked before" followed by a question that has been asked a million times before? :shrug:

I think this has been asked before - do a ..... ohh!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back