Nottingham to be the fist council to introduce workplace parking fees

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
I heard on the radio today Nottingham is to be the first council in the country to introduce workplace parking fees, employers will be charged £185 PA for each car parking space they provide on their premises.

It's up to them whether they pass this charge on to their employees but it's fairly likely.

Nottingham is the gun crime capital of the UK but woe betide you if you want to drive to work:thumbsdown:

I'm really starting to wonder if 21st century Britain is a place I want to live in anymore, the law abiding citizen seems to be an easy target while real criminals go scott free because they're too hard to catch.

I think one of the main reasons they chose Nottingham is that is does have a pretty good public transport system. It has a massive bus network and the new tram. The gun crime thing is a load of hype to be honest. I went to college there and I never once felt unsafe. There are some dodgy neighbourhoods, but they have them everywhere.

Not sure I agree with the system (and for the record I think it is only on ever space if they have more than 10, or something...not sure how you have one number for every sized business, but hey ho).

as with all these schemes if everyone did what they wanted it'd come to a complete halt, I start work at 6am, it's a 20minute drive to work, even if there was a bus service at that time of day it wouldn't be direct so i'd probably spend at least an hour getting to work which would mean getting up at 4.30am

Just to play devils advocate, some would argue though that is more people used public transdport there would be more buses and more routes and more stops and it would swing the other way. In a small scale example, where I use to live in Derby the bust service from my village into the middle of town was ever 10 minutes none stop for a good 16 hours a day. 15 min trip was about £1.80 return (with multi buy offers etc) and with new buses ever few years. Now where I live in Skipton the journey is about half the length but because no one uses it the service is once and hour for about 12 hours and it is about £2.60 return (in a VERY old nasty bus).

The Nottingham trial could backfire in so much as they do have a good network of buses and the tram and I think you could get pretty much anywhere quite easily...the problem will come when they try and expand this and realise that the transport systems in more rural places etc is just rubbish.

To be honest if they did nothing it would **** some people off, they do this and it will **** people off....I am glad in a way they are doing something to try and reduce congestion and build back the public transport etc...maybe I am naive and this is just a money making excersise, but I would much rather live in a country that gives stuff like this a go, rather than somewhere that just couldnt give a damn.

EDIT - too many spelling mistakes to correct in that and I am too tired :p

The only people this is going to seriously affect are those who don't live in an area where there is good public transport.

If they bring it in where I work I will be really annoyed (actually a much stronger word but it won't get throught the filter)

I live out in the sticks where there are about two buses a day. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it would entail me getting to work late and having to go early. Can't see that going doing well with my boss.

I already pay £113.00 a year to park.

Living 20 miles or so from work I feel that I'm already paying my fair share to the government with the amount of fuel I have to use.

Its just another tax on those people who can't afford to pay it in the first place.

Surely a works car park is a private one, belonging to the workplace ?

How can the council charge ?

Or am I just stupid ?

Next headline will be about the huge problem Nottingham has with on street parking, while works car parks are empty.

I do believe there should be a nation wide leave the car at home week. We will see the country come to a halt then. The councils and government have actively encouraged out of town shopping and industrial sites, but now they don't want you to drive there.

£5.50 a gallon, and £180 to park, is it really worth working?

Sometimes it's a condition of the planning permission for new builds to provide X amount of car parking spaces... catch 22.. say the planning office say you need 20 parking spaces.. you have to have them to get planning permission, but you then have to pay £1850 a year for the parking spaces. Seems a bit silly to me :)

Charges are coming in 2009 and in 2015 they will rise to £350 a parking place. The big employeers in Nottingham have been in consultation with the council on this for some time. To date no annoucement on how they are going to handle it.

The bus service in Nottingham is pretty good but the tram is only good if you live to the North of the city as they can't get it over the Trent.

I'm not particually happy about it but it's better than a congestion system like London.

I think it's a big gamble by the council. There aren't many big businesses in Nottingham really and they have all been hit hard over the last few years (Capital One recently made a whopping 750 people unemployed). The more charges you hit them with the more likely they will move elsewhere and if the companies pass the charges onto the employees then they will soon struggle to attract workers.

yup. gues who drives a lorry round nottingham all day?
boots (huuuge manufacturing and warehousing site with about 2000 employees and LOTS of employee parking) is currently papping itself .
still dont think its gonna discourage shift workers who start at 6 am.
notts transport system is pretty good, but dont forget, some people commute an awfull long way into nottm from some fairly out of the way spots.
even in notts, as lot of big biz is starting to move out of town.
i just wonder if this could make matters worse.
and yes , on street parking is alreay bloody awfull. making my job "interesting " sometimes.i
magine a few hundred cars parked round the lenton lane and dunkirk industrial estates, rather than in boots. theyre already busy enough with lorry traffic going to the metal recyclers and other biz,s on the estate.
oh god.

were based at one side of mansfield , and i live at the other. 10 miles each way.prob about an hour on a bus (three in fact).
if i hadnt got wheels, i,d have to pack up working where i do. . mostly 7 am starts and finishing 10 to 12 hours later, sometimes more.
i,d never sleep.
mark.

I heard on the radio today Nottingham is to be the first council in the country to introduce workplace parking fees, employers will be charged £185 PA for each car parking space they provide on their premises.

It's up to them whether they pass this charge on to their employees but it's fairly likely.

Nottingham is the gun crime capital of the UK but woe betide you if you want to drive to work:thumbsdown:

I'm really starting to wonder if 21st century Britain is a place I want to live in anymore, the law abiding citizen seems to be an easy target while real criminals go scott free because they're too hard to catch.

I didn't here this but it doesn't suprise me :thumbsdown: Who are these councils supposed to represent? It's just another money making scam by a council to justify their jobs :razz:

Surely a works car park is a private one, belonging to the workplace ?

How can the council charge ?

Or am I just stupid ?

Because Notts County Council are a bunch of thieving communist ********.

They have to pay for the Springfield Monorail somehow, it appears that they tried putting the entire cost on my council tax bill but I spotted it. £160bn pounds for a Band B property! Nice try, but I know last year it was only £140bn.
I often wonder who dresses these retards in the morning. They did the same with speed cameras, they spent millions, thinking that they'd fleece the motorists and be stuffing their pockets with cash....but everyone slowed down and they never made enough revenue to recoup their costs. Not to worry though, they just stuck it on my council tax bill. My how we all laughed.

Come the revolution........

Soon it will be too expensive to even bother going to work.
I have a 18-20 minute drive to work, I work shifts and when on earlies I get up at 4:30 to get to work, have a work out in the gym for an hour before starting work at 6:30. If driving gets too expensive then I have two options, cycle which takes about 40 minutes and not much fun in winter or rain. If I want my gym workout, I'd have to get up at 4:10 and I think doing the weights after will be a bit of a problem. I'm building muscle not trying to lose weight or just keep fit. So I could use public transport, using buses would take around 2 hrs as there is no direct route and use of train would cut the journey time down, but still needing a car for other journeys, the expense of having to pay for public transport for family as well as getting to work, would be more expensive than the cost of fuel and parking costs.
From my point of view congestion is caused more by the way roads are laid out and by buses than the amount of cars on the road.
Local councils have in the past few years taken to filling in bus lay-bys and now the bus stops in the road, meaning cars have to stop, instead of keep moving, bust stops are invariably oppostite each other and buses arrive in opposite directions at the same time, meaning cars can't overtake the buses. Bus stops are way too close to each other, we have two bus stops within 200 yards of each other.
Bus lanes have been introduced on what was once dual carriageways. Yet the number of buses using these is really minimal and should there be hold ups on other routes these roads sonn get blocked also.
It's all designed to get more money out of us.

how about sheffields idea of traffic flow?. four laners that use three lanes in , in the morning, and three lanes out in the evening.all controlled by lights on overhead gantries.
if the local council provide me with a bus that picks me up at my door, regardless of what time i start work, then takes me straight to work.
then picks me up outside work 11,12,or 13 hours later, then takes me straight home.all for about £3 a day.
then i,ll use it.
until then , its car or motorbikebike.

Despite what they say they don't want us to stop using our cars, 80% fuel tax(£4 a gallon now) £200-400 a year road tax, massive car industry generating millions of jobs in servicing and repairing said vehicles.

Like the London congestion charge which has had little effect on cutting congestion in London this parking TAX will eventually become just another tax people will pay without thinking about, which is exactly what they want.

I'm surprised they haven't bought back the 18th century window tax, think of all those conservatories

Nottingham may have good public transport just now but will it be able to handle the increased numbers that this will cause

Now if they invest in more buses etc before they start charging.........

I travel round London by tube a few days each week and during rush hour some stations are closed as they are to busy !, how's that for a properly managed system in our Capital City ????

when they;ve charged every business for using their own off street parking you just know whats coming next dont you.

wonder how many people will be returfing there off street parking at their houses so they dont get charged on them and then just drive onto the turf..

Despite what they say they don't want us to stop using our cars, 80% fuel tax(£4 a gallon now) £200-400 a year road tax, massive car industry generating millions of jobs in servicing and repairing said vehicles.

Like the London congestion charge which has had little effect on cutting congestion in London this parking TAX will eventually become just another tax people will pay without thinking about, which is exactly what they want.

I'm surprised they haven't bought back the 18th century window tax, think of all those conservatories

i like the idea of them taxing you on the views from your windows.... not

wonder how they would tax me, i have fantastic views of the solway firth from all the front windows on my house, shame i have to look over a rather nasty rundown estate to see it! im sure id be taxed through the eyeballs!

Nottingham may have good public transport just now but will it be able to handle the increased numbers that this will cause

It won't cause any more users to get on public transport, people will just pay it and continue to use their cars or companies will plant trees on all their parking spaces and every street within a mile of any industrial estate will be full of parked cars :bonk:

I live in Notts, I work 4 Miles from my house.....to get the bus to work i would have to get 2 buses, take around about 2 hours and cost me a fortune.........Our transport service one of the best in the country. I don't think so.

Back