Novatech Barebones

nickEnackEnoo

Suspended / Banned
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I think i'll get one of these and put my own drives in it (1xSSD 1xHDD)
Would this be sufficient for photoshop/lightroom and a little video editing? I asked their customer services about the OS, which comes on a disc, but they also mentioned considering a "GPU for my uses" in their response.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/view/bb-74008a.html

Processor
Description Intel Core i5 7400 Quad Core 3.0GHz Processor
No. of Cores 4
Manufacturer Intel
Clockspeed 3.0GHz
Cache 6MB

Memory
Description 8GB DDR4 2133MHz

Case
Drive Bays 3 1/2" x2
Drive Bays 5 1/4" x2
Description Novatech Micro Tower Case
Colour Black
Dimensions 170 (W) x 405 (D) x 360 (H) mm
Form Factor Micro ATX
Front Panel Connections 2x USB 3.0
Audio Connections

Optical Drives
Description No Optical Drive

Power Supply
Description Novatech ATX PSU 300W
Wattage / Rating 300W

Motherboard
Chipset H110
Accessories Included GA-H110M-S2H
Socket Type 1151
PCI-EX 1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
(The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
2. 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All of the PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
SATA Ports 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
IO 1 x PS/2 Keyboard port
1 x D-Sub port
1 x DVI-D port
1 x HDMI port
2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 x RJ-45 port
3 x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)
Description Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Motherboard
CPU Support i3, i5, i7 ,Intel Pentium ,Intel Celeron processors in the LGA1151
Memory Slots 2 x DDR4 DIMM sockets
Max Memory Capacity 32 GB
Form Factor Micro ATX Form Factor; 22.6cm x 17.4cm
LAN Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
USB 1.4 x USB 3.0/2.0, 8 x USB 2.0/1.1
OS Compliance Windows 10/8.1 64-bit/ Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H110M-S2H-rev-10#sp
this is the mobo

1. Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel® HD Graphics support:
    1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
    1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
    1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
  2. Support for up to 2 displays at the same time
  3. Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB

Its a decent spec. Things to note though -

No optimal drive isnt a big deal as you can use an external optical drive or you can buy OS on a bootable USB pen drive.

PSU 300W is quite weak by todays standards. I would want a bit more headroom especially if you are thinking of adding a graphics card. Minimum i would have would be 500/550W.

Video editing will benefit from a standalone graphics card.

The kaby lake CPU is designed to only work with Windows 10.
Anything less and Windows will through up an incompatible hardware detected notice on your screen (note this message can be circumvented though)

8gb is fine and as said you need to run W10 for sure.
You do need to think about how you will install your OS though?

Its a decent spec. Things to note though -

No optimal drive isnt a big deal as you can use an external optical drive or you can buy OS on a bootable USB pen drive.

PSU 300W is quite weak by todays standards. I would want a bit more headroom especially if you are thinking of adding a graphics card. Minimum i would have would be 500/550W.

Video editing will benefit from a standalone graphics card.

The kaby lake CPU is designed to only work with Windows 10.
Anything less and Windows will through up an incompatible hardware detected notice on your screen (note this message can be circumvented though)

I have an external optical drive too and am happy enough with windows 10. This is just something to keep me going and a quick solution while making use of the bits that I have :)

If you fancy having a fettle, look up RUFUS on the web it is a tool for taking a CD/DVD and creating a bootable USB drive it is very neat.

If you fancy having a fettle, look up RUFUS on the web it is a tool for taking a CD/DVD and creating a bootable USB drive it is very neat.
I think I used that to create a Dban USB drive a while ago, or something like it (y)

My little Barebone is purring away quite nicely :)

So, I was wondering. My all in one that has slowly been dying, is pretty much redundant and has donated it's HDD to the Barebone. My old laptop wants a Windows OS and wonders if the set up disc from the all in one could do the trick, after updating from win 7 to 10? While dicking about with drives a while ago, I did put the SDD i temporarily installed in the all in one, into the laptop and it loaded but I didn't really test it out. Would it have become unstable and started crashing, or could it be made to work? The all in one is a Medion, while the laptop is Toshiba. Laptop is busy for the next 20+ hours cleaning another HDD, so can't try it just now :)

Last edited:
main thig that causes this kind of scenario to go mental is unsupported devices and drivers trying to load and then plug and play detecting all kinds of wierd new stuff.
if it will boot a couple of times, check device manager and see what it says. you can use the windows boot cd no issue but it depends if you have a valid licence code, could be on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.

you can use the windows boot cd no issue but it depends if you have a valid licence code, could be on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.
Now there's something else I only briefly thought about the other day .... there is a code on the laptop :D It was originally Vista (which I have just been reminded, was not viable for upgrade to !0 anyway,) but I lost the CD, but the All In One has a Win 7 system. I'll give it a go when it's ready, but like you say, I think it might go screwy after a short while :)

Last edited:
Now there's something else I only briefly thought about the other day .... there is a code on the laptop :D It was originally Vista (which I have just been reminded, was not viable for upgrade to !0 anyway,) but I lost the CD, but the All In One has a Win 7 system. I'll give it a go when it's ready, but like you say, I think it might go screwy after a short while :)

The all in one CD might still install but it might have the install key embedded in its BIOS as that is the way its done nowadays hence you might still have to provide one.
i might be able to supply you with a win 7 key if you struggle.

The all in one CD might still install but it might have the install key embedded in its BIOS as that is the way its done nowadays hence you might still have to provide one.
i might be able to supply you with a win 7 key if you struggle.
Okay, thanks :) I'll have a go with it when the sunny spell is over .... so probably the weekend :D

Back