Novel beauty dish

I'm struggling to see the point of a black reflector
It is not white for once :LOL: but they have white diffuser on top :police:

The only saving grace would be if the surface is glossy or specular so the loss of light won't be the full 100%. They should do the proper matt version next with the novel blackest material on earth :LOL:

Thought the lighting nerds here would enjoy this:

(and no, it's not April yet).
Ask the mods to move to the jokes page? :)

Ask the mods to move to the jokes page? :)
This was not a joke... they're actually marketing this thing; I think it started a couple years ago. You can go all the way through the checkout process and they will sell you one.

I mean, it is complete nonsense/BS and should have been a joke; but the joke's on you (if you buy one).

This was not a joke... they're actually marketing this thing; I think it started a couple years ago. You can go all the way through the checkout process and they will sell you one.

I mean, it is complete nonsense/BS and should have been a joke; but the joke's on you (if you buy one).
It seems ideal for lighting product shots of bottles of snake oil :LOL:

unbelievable nonsense....wow

You might find it reflects infrared. Lots of black dyed things (clothes, hair, etc) do and look white in infrared pictures. It depends upon the dyes.

Even if there was a market for infrared portraits, a standard reflector would work better and involve less guesswork.

You might find it reflects infrared. Lots of black dyed things (clothes, hair, etc) do and look white in infrared pictures. It depends upon the dyes.

Even if there was a market for infrared portraits, a standard reflector would work better and involve less guesswork.
Apparently the reflecting dish has a lot of spill making it essentially a very inefficient ring light... thats the only reason it works at all.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Does it produce better dark light for better shadows ..

:coat:
If you combine it with the latest Sony set for a 1/8000 global shutter (just like a D70 has...), you can see the dark light against the less exposed background.

Back