November - what would be the best bet for a few days?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
So autumn is over - and I've yet to do any serious attempts this year.

Over the coming few weeks what would be the best places to go? If you know me at all I hate rainy, "moody" weather, but stormy with decent breaks of sunshine and nice colour all around definitely fly my boat.

Anything coastal like around Wales? Any chance of non-miserable weather further north (from memory a few years ago it was constantly terrible)?

The Alps / Italian side?? Would I get any snow AND sunshine if I do go???

Tenerife? That is sure an act of desperation but as a last resort I may do it again.

Cornwall was beautiful 10 days ago!
A smattering of snow in the French Alps ( nr Geneva) @ 1500m this morning but not enough to get excited about.... I'll update you if we get a dump of snow :)

Autumn certainly isn't over yet, quite a bit of the New Forest is yet to turn orange yet!

Autumn has lost the fight to winter. I went to Skye on Sunday and the moorland has lost its red hue and it is pretty bare and brown looking. The trees here have lost the bulk of their leaves and it looks pretty dull and grim.

Weather wise this week is not good.

I would head to the Alps or Pyrenees and see what you can get. Even without a lot of snow these are great places. Aiguille du Midi is shut and I believe so is Brevent but La Flegere is open so you can cable car it up and walk back down easily. I nearly went back over actually and wish I had but the drive from Scotland takes time. I think you'll miss the best of Autumn but high lakes, mountains are probably very do-able. Like you I hate rain and what many describe as moody I just see as well, bad.

Tenerife? That is sure an act of desperation but as a last resort I may do it again.

Lol, maybe because I'm already getting fed up of the cold, that was actually my first thought! Thinking of going next spring when the flowers come out in the caldera.

Or get the ferry over to La Gomera, something I always fancied :)

Autumn is far from over, it seems this year there’s been lots of regional differences and there’s still plenty of places that haven’t turned. It’s pretty impossible to tell what the weather will be like weeks in advance in such detail and every year is different. I remember three years ago and just a couple of days before a November trip to the Lake District, the forecasts were saying wet and windy all week, but actually high pressure built up at the last minute and I had four days of morning mists and sunshine, it was the best trip I’ve ever had which coincided with peak colour and glad I didn’t cancel. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and maybe the weather will play ball.

Here in the Epping Forest, the oak and beech trees are still green. Probably start turning colour in the next week or so, but I don't think this year will be great

The colour is probably a little past its best in some parts of the Highlands but I was on the Caledonian Sleeper on Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning the silver birches were looking very good.

If you fancy some dramatic and very changeable weather the Outer Hebrides usually deliver.

Dave

Slovenia? Triglav National Park and Lake Bled? It's probably still a little autumnal there. Probably getting close to snow time in the alps now though so you'd have to go now!

Slovenia? Triglav National Park and Lake Bled? It's probably still a little autumnal there. Probably getting close to snow time in the alps now though so you'd have to go now!

I've done it last year and just for the reference I will say it is either October (pref. early October) or wait till it properly snows there. I was in late October just on a day a nasty storm arrived and all the leaves were basically gone, while the roads within the national park were being shut for the winter. I have some keepers but not what it could have been a week earlier.

I've done it last year and just for the reference I will say it is either October (pref. early October) or wait till it properly snows there. I was in late October just on a day a nasty storm arrived and all the leaves were basically gone, while the roads within the national park were being shut for the winter. I have some keepers but not what it could have been a week earlier.

I'd tend to agree with that. Mid Oct is a good time there.

I am in a similar position and have been looking for November places for landscape photography and failing. Sept/Oct is a great time in Europe, but then it all gets a little miserable weather wise for a few months! Maybe just wait for all the snow?

Back