Novice: Looking for Camera advice

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

After many years of being away from the forum, I've finally returned.

Over a decade ago, you very helpfully pointed me toward my first DSLR. A Canon EOS 20D. I loved the camera and built up a collection of lenses. I went on Safari, trips around the UK and thoroughly enjoyed taking photographs with it.

Over time, I moved away from using the equipment. A couple of years ago, I borrowed a siblings Nikon (I can't remember the model), but it was basic. I started using it to take photos for my partners business (mainly product shots) and would like to invest in another DSLR for myself.

I will be mainly using the camera to take photos of products, both inside (within a lightbox) and outside (natural surroundings). I think a general all-rounded with a dedicated lens for close-up product shots would be my preference. My budget would be up to £800.

I appreciate I am asking a rather open ended up question, but if anyone can provide any advice/point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Many thanks!

Not a huge budget in the circumstances. Think a used dslr, maybe with a 'kit' zoom but also with a (used) manual focus 'macro' lens for the close-ups ... Garry will probably pop up soon to put you right about that light tent (more expense!) ...

Thanks droj for the response. I already have a basic light tent. I also understand that it isn't just about the kit, I will have a journey to learn how to use the equipment properly etc.
At this point, I've rather invest more into the camera body and a lens, and then continue to save until a time I expand (rather than split my budget too early).
I do have some room to increase that budget should the right thing come along.

Well you'll be getting loads of suggestions soon - and for wildly different cameras / lenses. Many respondents will curiously urge you to get a camera just like theirs! And at least a dozen lenses covering a range from 10mm to 5,000mm ...

My comment about the light tent was a reference to the fact that they are deprecated amongst the lighting fraternity, and you will probably be urged to get some proper lighting ...

There's also the endless dslr / mirrorless debate ...

Last edited:
Many respondents will curiously urge you to get a camera just like theirs!

What you need is a Nikon with a 105mm micro lens (yes droj, I do have one :)) or any macro lens/camera combination really because they tend towards the telephoto but not overly so and you can get in close if you need to so for product photography, not that I know much about it, I would have thought it would fit the bill; others may disagree,

I would suggest a used Fuji X-T2 with the XF 18-55mm 2.8-4 lens, a great all rounder, and in the future possibly add a XF 60mm macro to your kit.
These two should easily come in under budget.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wasn't expecting to open such a minefield, haha.

I still have all 3 lenses from my previous setup, althought he Sigma "sticks", so really I am down to two.

I will look to do a little more research and lean toward a macro lens.

Back