Novice who'd like some help :)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

Whilst I've been an avid iPhone photographer for as long as I've had one, I recently bought a new DSLR. A Canon 1300d.

It came with two lenses and I'm happy with some of the results I'm getting.

Now, I'm not one to run before I can walk but I've been looking at the settings and I've seen I can use some external flashes. I assume these are ones that attach to the foot on the top of the camera?

What I'd like to know is, if I wanted to use more than one, say for portrait photography do I just connect one to my camera and then use two/three more in slave mode?

I've been looking at the Neewer E-TTL Speedlite Flash on Amazon and thought, maybe buying one to test and then if I get on with them a couple more.

As I say I'm new to all this and still learning the settings of the camera and what settings would be best used for indoor portrait. I do find the preset settings on the top are really good and I love learning new things about the camera along with lenses etc.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

B

You've not stated which model, but most flashes will work in optical slave mode (which is what you're suggesting).
However, you're better off using a wireless trigger.
I don't know the Neewer range as I use Yongnuo on my canon, but this seems to be the
http://neewer.com/product/neewer-nw...slr-camerasincludes1nw680-tt680-flash1univer/
kit which includes a trigger.

I'm sure someone will come along with better answers than me and possible a suggestion to ask in the lighting and studio section.

The cheapest option is a couple of Manual flashguns, which you can trigger using your onboard flash in S2 mode...

But that’s riddled with some technical challenges:
Your onboard flash is ETTL only and fooling your camera into giving you control isn’t simple
Nor is it simple to stop the onboard flash spoiling your carefully designed lighting pattern

I’d usually recommend that a first flashgun should be a fully featured unit, whether Canon, Neewer, Godox etc. An on camera flash that’ll do ETTL, HSS etc.

So if you’re really interested in studio type shooting, you should think about scalability, and for that, the Godox TT685 is the obvious choice as a first, then add an x-pro transmitter, then a couple more flashguns, or an AD200, AD600 or some cheaper mains powered units.

Steep learning curve. But we’ll worth it.

The cheapest option is a couple of Manual flashguns, which you can trigger using your onboard flash in S2 mode...

But that’s riddled with some technical challenges:
Your onboard flash is ETTL only and fooling your camera into giving you control isn’t simple
Nor is it simple to stop the onboard flash spoiling your carefully designed lighting pattern

I’d usually recommend that a first flashgun should be a fully featured unit, whether Canon, Neewer, Godox etc. An on camera flash that’ll do ETTL, HSS etc.

So if you’re really interested in studio type shooting, you should think about scalability, and for that, the Godox TT685 is the obvious choice as a first, then add an x-pro transmitter, then a couple more flashguns, or an AD200, AD600 or some cheaper mains powered units.

Steep learning curve. But we’ll worth it.
:agree: I have three Godox TT685S plus an XPro-S (I'm a Sony user) and am getting excellent results from them so the TT685C and XPro-C should work for the OP.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

I've been looking on YouTube and scouring the internet at blogs and what not!

I've found this one on Amazon (screenshot attached). I thought about getting this one for now and seeing what I can achieve with it?

My understanding is, if I wanted to light the rear of something at the same time, I could use a second flash (same as on the camera) but on a stand and have it communicating with the camera? I've seen a video on using triggers and using the built-in communication (I think it's infrared, could be wrong). This would then activate when the camera flash does. Unless I'm missing the point?

As I say, I've not really had a need to use a flash as most of my photos have been outside, using the preset modes on the Canon.

I'm about to well within the next few hours, going to order the flash in the attached screenshot. Has anyone used one of these before?

Again, thanks for all the replies and thank you for being to welcoming to a newbie!

Ben

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 12.54.58.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 12.54.58.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 33
I have a Neewer 656EX for my Canon 1100D and I like it. I bought it on Amazon and got the Neewer FC-16 remote and receiver set to go with it. I like the flash and the remote and they were a good price.

Back