Now I've Done It.

...and off goes the film for developing, hopefully get it back next week, prints and a WeTransfer.

...and off goes the film for developing, hopefully get it back next week, prints and a WeTransfer.
Just get ready for that little bit of 'Christmas morning' type feeling when the email arrives with the link and the download starts. :) My fingers are crossed for you and don't forget to share the results, whether good, bad or indifferent. (y)

Just get ready for that little bit of 'Christmas morning' type feeling when the email arrives with the link and the download starts. :) My fingers are crossed for you and don't forget to share the results, whether good, bad or indifferent. (y)

Yup. all excited.

I'm not expecting much, I put some thought into them, gleaned from my DSLR exploits, so we'll see. One thing I love about my film camera is that all my EF lenses will work on it, so apart from looking at the back of the camera, it's been much the same. This roll will be more to prove whether the camera is working properly or not but I still only took images that might work. Fingers crossed there's one or two keepers.

Just had the phonecall, payment made, prints and WeTransfer on the way. Watching e-mails very excitedly.

He said it was 36 out of 36. (y)

Ok, my first ever publish of a film image I've taken. Quietly pleased. Not an award winner but at least I know the camera works.

I've noticed they are very grainy, all of them, which gets me thinking have the developers recovered the shadows, or exposure as I conciously under exposed by 1/3rd stop for my landscape images. The grain is very apparent on all 36 images, maybe it's a quirk of the film? ( Fuji X-tra 400).

I'll certainly have to up my game but my interest has been sparked, so we'll see. More to come.

000001 LR CS6 JP TP.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, my first ever publish of a film image I've taken. Quietly pleased. Not an award winner but at least I know the camera works.

I've noticed they are very grainy, all of them, which gets me thinking have the developers recovered the shadows, or exposure as I conciously under exposed by 1/3rd stop for my landscape images. The grain is very apparent on all 36 images, maybe it's a quirk of the film? ( Fuji X-tra 400).

I'll certainly have to up my game but my interest has been sparked, so we'll see. More to come.

View attachment 295277

That's a lovely shot Dale. I'd be very happy with that.

With regards to the grain, if necessary it's probably better to overexpose colour negative film - you're unlikely to lose the highlights and it will allow better detail in the shadows. Underexposing it tends to result in muddy, noisy shadows however. Basically do the opposite to what you would do if shooting digital. A lot of colour negative film stocks tend to be very forgiving of overexposure if you need it.

That's a lovely shot Dale. I'd be very happy with that.

With regards to the grain, if necessary it's probably better to overexpose colour negative film - you're unlikely to lose the highlights and it will allow better detail in the shadows. Underexposing it tends to result in muddy, noisy shadows however. Basically do the opposite to what you would do if shooting digital. A lot of colour negative film stocks tend to be very forgiving of overexposure if you need it.

Thanks.

I will try that next time, a new roll currently resides in my camera with 36 more exposures.

Goldie came out ok.

EDIT, it's lot crisper in my browser.

000035 LR CS6 JP.jpg

Those are both very good, I'd be happy with them.

Lovely shots, I'm glad it's gone well for you. I'm not a huge fan of Fuji Xtra 400 either, although I do use it from time to time. Now you know your camera works well, perhaps think about some Kodak Portra 400 (it's not cheap though), or Portra 160 (also very nice film); or if you want some Kodachrome type colour 'pop' then try some Kodak Ektar 100 - but I think it looks best with plenty of sunlight - so maybe next spring/summer? For everyday shooting in late spring, summer and early autumn, then perhaps try some Kodak Gold 200, an economically priced film with warmish colour and reasonably low grain for the price and ISO.

Once you're hooked and fancy a camera body upgrade, then perhaps have a look at the Canon EOS 30. The 7 AF points on that have an eye controlled function, and once calibrated, you just look at the AF point to select it, then press the shutter button half way to lock on and focus, and it's just as fast as standard AF on a camera of that era... eg pretty instant, to the point you think the camera is telepathic! Even if the eye controlled AF system doesn't work for you, it's easily switched off and you just use the camera normally. The 35 zone metering system is very good indeed too. The price, if you're patient and pounce at the right time, then a mintish, fully working EOS 30 can still be had for the £60 mark (+ £10 or -£20 either way, depending how your luck is).

Hope this is useful and I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your photos. (y)

Congrats!

Images look grand to me. My experience of 400 speed colour film at 35mm is that grain is definitely there. Even the "budget" 200 speed films like Color Plus and Gold exhibit visible grain. The only time I've not seen it in colour is with Ektar (100). Even Ektachrome shows it. I've never shot Portra 160 at 35mm but in medium format it's my go-to for colour-no-grain-landscape work...

I also really like the EOS 30. As a specs wearer I couldn't get the Eye-AF to work reliably so it's on normal "focus & recompose". It's still a grand camera and takes some great images when you put some decent glass on the front. I'm occasionally tempted by the EOS-3 or the 1v but I really don't need anything else. My 30 ended up being free after I sold the bundled lenses that came with it.

Lovely shots, I'm glad it's gone well for you. I'm not a huge fan of Fuji Xtra 400 either, although I do use it from time to time. Now you know your camera works well, perhaps think about some Kodak Portra 400 (it's not cheap though), or Portra 160 (also very nice film); or if you want some Kodachrome type colour 'pop' then try some Kodak Ektar 100 - but I think it looks best with plenty of sunlight - so maybe next spring/summer? For everyday shooting in late spring, summer and early autumn, then perhaps try some Kodak Gold 200, an economically priced film with warmish colour and reasonably low grain for the price and ISO.

Once you're hooked and fancy a camera body upgrade, then perhaps have a look at the Canon EOS 30. The 7 AF points on that have an eye controlled function, and once calibrated, you just look at the AF point to select it, then press the shutter button half way to lock on and focus, and it's just as fast as standard AF on a camera of that era... eg pretty instant, to the point you think the camera is telepathic! Even if the eye controlled AF system doesn't work for you, it's easily switched off and you just use the camera normally. The 35 zone metering system is very good indeed too. The price, if you're patient and pounce at the right time, then a mintish, fully working EOS 30 can still be had for the £60 mark (+ £10 or -£20 either way, depending how your luck is).

Hope this is useful and I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your photos. (y)
Congrats!

Images look grand to me. My experience of 400 speed colour film at 35mm is that grain is definitely there. Even the "budget" 200 speed films like Color Plus and Gold exhibit visible grain. The only time I've not seen it in colour is with Ektar (100). Even Ektachrome shows it. I've never shot Portra 160 at 35mm but in medium format it's my go-to for colour-no-grain-landscape work...

I also really like the EOS 30. As a specs wearer I couldn't get the Eye-AF to work reliably so it's on normal "focus & recompose". It's still a grand camera and takes some great images when you put some decent glass on the front. I'm occasionally tempted by the EOS-3 or the 1v but I really don't need anything else. My 30 ended up being free after I sold the bundled lenses that came with it.

Thanks for those both very helpful replies. (y)(y)

Only my 3rd image off the film camera, and maybe one of my most satisfying. I'm not sure what it is but there's something about this image that I love. Obviously, I'm biased with it being of 2 of the 3 most important things in my life but besides that, there's just a very satisfying feel to it.

Straight off the camera, so to speak.

000023.JPG

Only my 3rd image off the film camera, and maybe one of my most satisfying. I'm not sure what it is but there's something about this image that I love. Obviously, I'm biased with it being of 2 of the 3 most important things in my life but besides that, there's just a very satisfying feel to it.

View attachment 295318

Lovely shot and maybe you like it more because it has a bit of pop.

there's just a very satisfying feel to it.

This is what's so hard to quantify when describing why one prefers film photography. Also

Is the main reason why I enjoy it. No farting around in photoshop. Choose the right film and your photoshopping is pre-done!

I think every film has its own unique character, and when you combine the character of film with real, important characters in your life...

(y)

Lovely shot and maybe you like it more because it has a bit of pop.

I really like the retro, olden feel to it I think.

This is what's so hard to quantify when describing why one prefers film photography. Also

Is the main reason why I enjoy it. No farting around in photoshop. Choose the right film and your photoshopping is pre-done!

I think every film has its own unique character, and when you combine the character of film with real, important characters in your life...

(y)

I'm not sure I prefer it to digital but I am equally enthusiastic about it. I'm going to try different films now but I have to shoot another 36 of the Fuji film first as it's already loaded.

My first roll of film has taught me a lot, especially exposure, (think 7D and ETTR) and I will be putting more effort into my second roll but it will be another while before that roll is finished. That said, it's coming into the best time of year for landscapes and my film camera will always be in my bag.

Back