Now I've Done It.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
After much deliberation, I've finally done it.

I bought the Sigma 24-105 f4 ART.

I got it used from LCE, being as it will be used on my 5Div primarily but it should adapt to my R7.

The reason I went used? Obviously, it's cheaper, I've 'saved' about £240 compared to new. I'm also reluctant to buy new DSLR lenses now, as they are depreciating more than mirrorless lenses. Somebody else will have taken the hit on the Sigma. Also, my transition to Canon mirrorless has begun, it will take time but it's inevitable, it's only a matter of time before I switch entirely. This also makes me reluctant to buy new DSLR lenses and this lens will probably be my last DSLR lens purchase.

All that said, this should now see me through for a few more years, there's tons of life in the 5D and unless I get impulsive one day, I have no immediate plans to buy a Canon FF mirrorless body.

I just thought I would update, as I have asked the question about the 24-105 in the past and how it compares to the Canon (Mk2) version.

I've done all the research and the Sigma seems to be the Canon's equal, if not better in some respects.

We'll see.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll love it - another lens that I look on at with envy. Is it in hand or are you clicking the tracking refresh every few seconds to see where it is?

Sigma art lenses are awesome. I too couldn’t justify going down the brand new route for dslr lenses and sold my last remaining dslr and associated glass for mirrorless with the updated lenses which have the much faster AF motors.

I'm sure you'll love it - another lens that I look on at with envy. Is it in hand or are you clicking the tracking refresh every few seconds to see where it is?

Lol, no, literally just ordered it in the last hour. Should be here Tuesday ish next week.

Sigma art lenses are awesome. I too couldn’t justify going down the brand new route for dslr lenses and sold my last remaining dslr and associated glass for mirrorless with the updated lenses which have the much faster AF motors.

I've heard good things about them. If the 150-600C is anything to go by, the 24-105 should be a treat.

Last edited:
I'm an hour in, feels like a week already.

Even from where you are, surely you could fly to the nearest airport, rented a car and collected it - you did save £240 on the new price so, using man-maths, it would be worth it for the extra day or 2 less waiting!!!

I've got the Nikon version and it is a great lens (at least as good as the equivalent Nikon 24-120 f/4 apart from the weight).

The lens hood was tight to get on/off but that was easily fixed.

Thought you'd finally gone for the 600mm f4!

Enjoy the new lens pal

I can but dream Mike :LOL:, maybe one day. Probably the RF version by then. :)

I've got the Nikon version and it is a great lens (at least as good as the equivalent Nikon 24-120 f/4 apart from the weight).

The lens hood was tight to get on/off but that was easily fixed.

I think it's much the same with the Canon version, seems to be the L's equal, if not better in some respects. (y)

You do realise that the Kingfishers will look even smaller now don't you!

:coat:

I'll have to work on getting closer. :LOL:

Ooooohhhh, out for delivery tomorrow. :banana:

Reactions: Nod
Ooooohhhh, out for delivery tomorrow. :banana:
My new stuff usually picks the only day of the week I’ll be out to be delivered on, followed by the busiest day of the week so I cannot play with it. What is your week looking like?

After thought. Apart from Amazon - I always try to plan deliveries for when I will be home. Amazon detects this and then delivers the day before or after when the tell me they plan to deliver.

My new stuff usually picks the only day of the week I’ll be out to be delivered on, followed by the busiest day of the week so I cannot play with it. What is your week looking like?

After thought. Apart from Amazon - I always try to plan deliveries for when I will be home. Amazon detects this and then delivers the day before or after when the tell me they plan to deliver.

I'll be here. ;) (y) :LOL:

I managed to sneak a(nother!) new watch into a big river order but may have been caught setting it... And I've just realised that I've set it to UK Summer time when it's going to be kept for holiday use (200M waterproof and a bit bulkier than I really like as a daily wearer.)

Hope you have more success hiding the lens from Mrs Dale!

So's Mrs Nod but I'm still not allowed any more bikes!

I flag my address as a business address and set it to only allow deliveries on the days/times that I know I'm going to intercept the courier before the EPO... Downside is that if it would be delivered on a day that I have blocked, I have to wait until the next allowed delivery date.

Well Dale as the kids would have said while traveling anywhere "Are we there yet" "Are we there yet".

So Dale has it arrived yet.

Best of luck with the new lens and happy shooting.

'New lens day, new lens day, new lens day'.

Will be here between 14-14 and 15-14 hrs.

It's here, it's like new, I'd say mint. I've had the Canon equivalent for a few years now, the Mark 1 and that's built like a tank. I don't want to knock that lens ( I wouldn't have upgraded if it handed have been for the AF problem ) but I'd say the build quality of the Sigma is even better. It's heavy.

Passed the sniff test, still smells like new too.

Done some quick tests, all seems fine.

It's here, it's like new, I'd say mint. I've had the Canon equivalent for a few years now, the Mark 1 and that's built like a tank. I don't want to knock that lens ( I wouldn't have upgraded if it handed have been for the AF problem ) but I'd say the build quality of the Sigma is even better. It's heavy.

But, how does it taste? :p

you have been watching Fro too much ;)

A couple of years ago .... After my Canon 70D and 24-105 L f4 lens fell into the sea, I got a full payout from insurance for new for old .... as the 70D was no longer made they paid out for a 80D and as my lens (mk1) was no longer made they paid out for mk11 ...... but after reading many reviews I decided to go for the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens and I found it sharper than my L lens was. So I am really happy with the outcome and the extra cash.

A couple of years ago .... After my Canon 70D and 24-105 L f4 lens fell into the sea, I got a full payout from insurance for new for old .... as the 70D was no longer made they paid out for a 80D and as my lens (mk1) was no longer made they paid out for mk11 ...... but after reading many reviews I decided to go for the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens and I found it sharper than my L lens was. So I am really happy with the outcome and the extra cash.

I am itching to get out with it now, the best time of year is ahead too. I may do a local jaunt on the weekend, we'll see.

Back