[NSFW] Getting the look of 70s photography

Edit My Images
No
Here there, I've been over on the website of heidi johansen

And am interested in how she got the desaturated 70s film look in her shots. I have asked the photographer directly, but I thought it would be quicker to ask if any one here knew also.

Any thoughts on if it would be possible to replicate with digital photography, or a regular film SLR?

Many thanks

Here are some examples.

TZASTUPE.jpg

GAUPENSP.jpg

SLIDE32.jpg

Hi Kez, I've edited the title of your thread because of the topless woman in the first one (Incase anyone is browsing at work or somewhere).

I'd interesting in this answer too :)

It's not cross processing.

Although I'm sure there's some sort of action for creating this look, I'm betting you can get pretty close from simply decreasing the overall contrast slightly and bumping up the yellow in the midtones.

Or, you can shoot outdated film. :)

- CJ

Thanks pxl8. I've been looking at Exposure. From the examples it seems to be "close but no cigar" to me.
There are lots of preconfigured simulations which are all almost there. But $199 for "close" to what could be achieved with the right combination of curves/saturation and noise filter seems a bit steep to me.

Search for some Kodachrome actions for Photoshop, there are lots. There are almost certainly others that emulate different films, but Kodachrome definitely has that sort of look.

She probably just shoots the film, though...

Heidi shoots film and therefore the scratches are real (though deliberate) and the colour is achieved mostly in the darkroom.

Most of the actual 70's effect is in the art direction (clothes, models, props and locations).

At a guess you could achieve the effect by desaturating the image very slightly, reducing conrast slightly, adding a bit of noise and finally tinting the shadow levels with yellow. Also possibly up the highlight levels ever so slightly to deliberatly blow the highlights a bit.

Back