NTFE to Fat32 files in windows 11 issue

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
All my photos taken on a previous windows platform before widows 11 have been automatically changed to NTFE even those on backup drives. Why I don't have a clue. So looked into converting back and there is a program that does this but may cost. The only other way is to transfer and store all the photos onto a spare empty drive, even those on backup drives, then format the original drive they came off back to Fat32. then reinstate the photos back. WHAT A BLO*DY pain that is . Just to do the first part from one of my HDD drives was about 2.5 hours. any photos taken and saved under windows11 are not affected.

MICROSOFT YET AGAIN HAVE BALLSED UP BIG TIME

All my photos taken on a previous windows platform before widows 11 have been automatically changed to NTFE even those on backup drives. Why I don't have a clue. So looked into converting back and there is a program that does this but may cost. The only other way is to transfer and store all the photos onto a spare empty drive, even those on backup drives, then format the original drive they came off back to Fat32. then reinstate the photos back. WHAT A BLO*DY pain that is . Just to do the first part from one of my HDD drives was about 2.5 hours. any photos taken and saved under windows11 are not affected.

MICROSOFT YET AGAIN HAVE BALLSED UP BIG TIME
Do you mean NTFS?

I would have thought that w11 would use NTFS not fat32?

It will read fat32

Last edited:
Yes you are correct sorry my error, but the issue remains all previous photos before Windows 11 get changed to NTFS and not remain FAT32. , Microsoft have not even bothered to add in a converter in the disk management program

Yes you are correct sorry my error, but the issue remains all previous photos before Windows 11 get changed to NTFS and not remain FAT32. , Microsoft have not even bothered to add in a converter in the disk management program
The photos don't get changed, it is only the way the files are stored and indexed on the disc, and W11 is NTFS so there looks like you have another problem, perhaps if you describe what it happening

Edit. Perhaps you could have stored the files compressed or encrypted?

Last edited:
_DSC6783zz.JPG

AS you can see only half the picture shows until I actually open up one of these files , before all the photo shows not just half
. when opened a file then all photos on the file shows OK

Last edited:
As mentioned by the others FAT32 and NTFS are disk format structures and do not in anyway affect individual files.

I have used NTFS I think from my Windows 2000 days when formatting my hard drives when fitting them ready for use. NB currently on W10

Can you please look at some individual files and tell us the file suffix e.g
.jpeg
.CR2
.orf

etc

They are the file 'names' and day to day terms the disk file structure format has absolutely no bearing on them.

View attachment 375720

AS you can see only half the picture shows until I actually open up one of these files . when opened a file then all photos on the file shows OK
They are folders not individual files.......you can typically rename a folder to whatever you like. I have many photo folders and indeed word doc folders named to my preferences.

PS viewing your screenshot on my phone I cannot read your folder names.

Last edited:
reading the name is not the issue it is only showing half the photo that is I think you are getting confused BB

Last edited:
reading the name is not the issue it is only showing half tghe photo that is
But the image on the folder is only an example of what is in the folder, if you have 100 photos in a folder, it will just show an image so that you know the folder contains images.
There may be a setting in W11 that can change the way the folder is displayed, but there is certainly nothing to do with FAT or NTFS :)

reading the name is not the issue it is only showing half the photo that is I think you are confusing the isse BB
My photo folders that have contents show such a folder with a partial image on folder.

I ask again, when you open the folder are you image files AOK with names as appropriate?

For fear of stating the obvious.....you need to double click the folder to open it and see all the files it contains;)

Last edited:
But the image on the folder is only an example of what is in the folder, if you have 100 photos in a folder, it will just show an image so that you know the folder contains images.
There may be a setting in W11 that can change the way the folder is displayed, but there is certainly nothing to do with FAT or NTFS :)
No there is not I have just spent 4 hours searching Windows11 for exactly that trying to find a way to see tfhe whole photo

Somehow, I think, you're putting every shot into individual folders. The images on the folder icons are therefor correct.

What you should be seeing is something along these lines...

Screenshot_20221210_134836.png

Last edited:
My photo folders that have contents show such a folder with a partial image on folder.

I ask again, when you open the folder are you image files AOK with names as appropriate?

For fear of stating the obvious.....you need to double click the folder to open it and see all the files it contains;)
Do I have to repeat myself the names have got nothing to do with the photos in the file. Can I respective ask you not to keep on about something you seem to be focused on, thank you

Last edited:
Somehow, I think, you're putting every shot into individual folders. The images on the folder icons are therefor correct.

What you should be seeing is something along these lines...

View attachment 375721
never had any problems before putting anything up to 100 photos into one file. If I open up a file all tghe photos are there. Everyone is missing the point so hold up/.Why did windows 11 decide to change to NTFE and not stay with FAT 32 it makes no sense

Last edited:
the number of photos doesn't matter or what they are
Of course it does, which one of what is in the folder do you want to be displayed?
Only one can be displayed, and the fact that an image id displayed tells you the folder contains images.

Of course it does, which one of what is in the folder do you want to be displayed?
Only one can be displayed, and the fact that an image id displayed tells you the folder contains images.
not with me I have various different images of various subject. I can see any point in making a file for 2 or 3 photos to go into

Can I ask how many of you are now using windows 11 and have the same thing? If your not on W11 then maybe it is something to think about before upgrading

I think I will let you all ponder on this and thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas

Last edited:
not with me I have various different images of various subject. I can see any point in making a file for 2 or 3 photos to go into

Can I ask how many of you are now using windows 11 and have the same thing? If your not on W11 then maybe it is something to think about before upgrading

I think I will let you all ponder on this and thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas
If you have three images in a folder or 300, only one can be displayed on the folder.

One of my laptops has Windows 11, no doubt it only displays half an image like yours does, but I wouldn't have noticed it, firstly my folder names describe in some way what is in the folder, either by date, topic, project etc, and secondly all my folders have more than one image in, and that probably wouldn't be the one I was looking for.

I honestly don't see any issue with it, or how it could make any difference to me in use.

You are looking at FOLDERS not FILES, and as has been said, W11, W10, NTFS FAT32 has nothing to do with it.

What might have happened is that hte default view has changed, but nothing has altered your underlying images or storage.

Something like this article https://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-files-folders-file-explorer/ may help, or google "Understanding fiels and folders in windows" because I'm afraid you just don't.

Everyone is missing the point so hold up/.
One bit of advice: when you're asking people to help you, being rude and aggressive when they ask questions to understand your problem, is counter productive.

You used the term "NTFE" when you meant "NTFS". You complained that the preview images were only half size when you were referring to folder images. You wrote "files" when you meant "folders". People are trying to help you but you're confusing them with the way you're communicating.

So another question: What exactly can you not do that you want to do?

Just to explain (not because I really feel the need to, but my wife is watching "The Crown" and some people might be interested).

Whatever the op's problem is, it simply isn't the file system.

The file system at the operating system level is something you rarely come into contact with. Not knowing about the intricacies are hardly a shame, so no criticism is implicit or explicit for the OP.

What a file system does is to orchestrate between an application (which includes the operating system) and the storage media - floppy, hard disk, tape, CD, whatever. It is simply a database of where data is on disk. The structure of that database determines its characteristics, but as a user you don't ever have to know about it. While you may have heard of NTFS for example, you may well never have heard of ext3 and ext4, or APFS. The moral is that you can sail through a happy and fulfilling life knowing jack about file systems, and big endian and little endian can stay characters in a silly western movie.

NTFS is the default file system for windows hard drives and has been for many years. If you did, for some reason, decide to format FAT32 you would not notice any difference. Any difference that is, until you try to save or access a file larger than 4Gb at which point FAT32 would turn around and say "Sorry mate, no can do, I can only count up to 4,294,967,295 (that's the decimal equivalent of 32 "1's" in binary, aka 4 Gb). The hint's in the "32" bit. There are some other differences, like the security attributes, but honestly you are unlikely to notice. You would notice if you tried to format a floppy disk as NTFS, as the file system would eat substantially into usable space, which is why your Windows machine would automatically select FAT (not even FAT32) if you tried to do that. If you even have a floppy drive. Reading and writing either file system is possible and entirely transparent to the user, and bears zero relationship to how you see the file, it is only about how it is stored and accessed. Moreover, file systems are - as far as possible - both backward AND forward compatible. For example, an old version of NTFS will comfortably read and write to a volume created by a new version of NTFS. Comfortably that is, until the new version creates a volume of 8 Petabytes, somewhat beyond the old version's capability of 256 Terabytes, which is seriously cool if you think about it and are geeky enough.

So, as many have said, if the op has an issue they need help with (which sounds to me related to the display options in Explorer) then they should state their problem, advice may be forthcoming.

One bit of advice: when you're asking people to help you, being rude and aggressive when they ask questions to understand your problem, is counter productive.

You used the term "NTFE" when you meant "NTFS". You complained that the preview images were only half size when you were referring to folder images. You wrote "files" when you meant "folders". People are trying to help you but you're confusing them with the way you're communicating.

So another question: What exactly can you not do that you want to do?
OOH dear one is not allowed to make mistakes with something not fully underestood. To be so exact spotting others errors must be so time consuming and worrying.

Last edited:
OOH dear one is not allowed to make mistakes with something not fully underestood. To be so exact spotting others errors must be so time consuming and worrying.
:tumbleweed:

Some of you could argue in an empty room :rolleyes:
The OP has admitted that he doesn't fully understand the terminology,
and some have assisted and pointed him towards that.
I'm sure he is grateful.
And I'm not actually seeing aggressiveness from him, just the odd sarcastic post elsewhere.

Play nice :)

You are allowed to make mistakes and we all do. The problem your readers have is that we can only see the words you type, not the words you mean. To help you, we need to know what you mean, and getting the words right is the first step on achieving that.

Back