Nuisance Call Blockers

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Getting annoying series of 08434 calls PPI etc, seem to use 08434 ....01, then 02, then 03 etc so blocking a number is only a temporary fix.
Apart from TPS/DNC.org.uk do you know of any pieces of hardware that can be used to block preferably from an extension Dect phone (i.e. not connected to the line) with caller display?

Alternatively what do you use that is effective?

Thanks Keith, that seems ideal :)

Let an answer phone take the strain. Tell family and friends that you have one and you can grab their message as they call or just ring them back. I've also found that bona fide companies that you have given your number to will also leave a message. The cold callers trying to sell you stuff just hang up.

Dave

Let an answer phone take the strain. Tell family and friends that you have one and you can grab their message as they call or just ring them back. I've also found that bona fide companies that you have given your number to will also leave a message. The cold callers trying to sell you stuff just hang up.

Dave

Got one but it doesn't fill the need TBH ... I like the options on the True Call :)

I used to have a Truecall which worked well. Alas after a couple of years it died.

I started looking around and found something called "callblocker" for about £50. For someone to get through they have to press 5 (standard message tells them this and asks sales not to call again). Works just as well and I never have the phone go in the evenings.

We use the CPR all in one call blocker off Amazon.. Comes pre programmed with known ppi and cold caller numbers blocked.. You can also one touch block numbers as they call and programme in your own to block.. Worked out about £40 when we got it but it's cut the number of ppi etc calls right down - well worth a purchase (y)

We use the CPR all in one call blocker off Amazon.. Comes pre programmed with known ppi and cold caller numbers blocked.. You can also one touch block numbers as they call and programme in your own to block.. Worked out about £40 when we got it but it's cut the number of ppi etc calls right down - well worth a purchase (y)

Same here - works like a charm.

Same here - works like a charm.

Another CPR blocker user, I bought from Amazon for just around £35.

The one touch block works a treat.

Another vote for TrueCall. I have had one for just over 6 months. Never had an unwanted call since getting it. The phone pests all hang up during screening because they know they not going to get through.

Certainly seems True Call fits the bill ... ordered and on its way :)

Certainly seems True Call fits the bill ... ordered and on its way :)

I am sure you will like it. Very handy how you can set it up on the web and check on your phone traffic (in and out) from your pc. Local council trading standards here have a scheme to supply them at discounted cost to vulnerable people. They are initially supplied on a trial basis for a few months and Trading Stds. monitor the phone traffic until the user decides to make the purchase. TS have found that most pest callers eventually stop trying to phone folk with Truecall units.

Just an update:

Have had the Truecall now for a couple of months and it really has solved the nuisance problem - it's been much better than I expected TBH and so easy to use, can't recommend it enough :)

Just an update:

Have had the Truecall now for a couple of months and it really has solved the nuisance problem - it's been much better than I expected TBH and so easy to use, can't recommend it enough :)

Good stuff! (y)

Does it automatically filter out unwanted international calls that don't come up with a number on a caller display phone? The easy answer would be to not answer calls that display as international but we have friends overseas who call from time to time and they display as international... I currently answer in Greek (most wanted international calls are from there and other friends know how I answer so can tell it's me!) which confuses them but still wastes my time.

Does it automatically filter out unwanted international calls that don't come up with a number on a caller display phone? The easy answer would be to not answer calls that display as international but we have friends overseas who call from time to time and they display as international... I currently answer in Greek (most wanted international calls are from there and other friends know how I answer so can tell it's me!) which confuses them but still wastes my time.

it can filter out international calls but it can also be set differently - you can also set it to filter out international calls but 'challenge'.
It will then answer international calls (without you knowing it) and ask for a security number you have set - giving that number to your friends would allow them to get through the filtering - or if they always call from the same number/numbers you can set those numbers as 'friends' and they will get through uninhibited :)

Cheers for the reply, Gramps. Unfortunately the wanted numbers don't seem to show other than "International" so not sure how it would be able to differentiate. Having PINs to enable them to get through easily is probably overkill but we'll bear it in mind should the nuisance calls get too much.

I have to wonder how much of this is down to giving the phone number out to unreliable companies.

I can honestly say I've never had a sales call on our landline as we are extremely cautious about who has the number.

Some call centres multi-generate random numbers - phone rings, no answer, logged as someone there and then calls commence ... add that to number harvesting from numerous sources ... you've been fortunate!

One year at this address/number and no cold callers : thumbs:

The old place/number was okay over the 3 years there bar a few calls for the previous owner of our number from a catalogue company until they got the message.

PM your number and I'll see what I can do :D

Thanks for posting to confirm it works.

Before I spend £100, can anyone confirm whether there are any issues with it blocking other, wanted, calls. For example, my office number appears as withheld, as it used an IPphone system?

Thanks for posting to confirm it works.

Before I spend £100, can anyone confirm whether there are any issues with it blocking other, wanted, calls. For example, my office number appears as withheld, as it used an IPphone system?

If the number is withheld then there needs to be some interaction from the caller, either (your selection) say their name and you accept the call or they enter a code you have given them to be put through.

the introduction of android based DECT phones can run a call blocker app the same as android mobiles
at the moment the smart DECT phones available are either ugly or ni on useless but there are more and mor being released
i bought one of these to see how they are progressing
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1716032.htm

it's pig ugly and a bit on the large side but it does have some nice features
the screen is fairly responsive and it runs android 4.0.4 ( ice cream sandwich ) which is up to date enough to run most apps
i run a call n txt blocker that works quite well called Afirewall ( free app ) you can also use things like viber , skype via wireless connection and any other android app

like i said there not perfect yet but there getting there and there seems to be a few in the pipe line that are not as pig ugly with newer versions of th OS

the main attraction for me was the ability to run a call blocker which it does very well

Good to read this thread. I didn't even know it was possible to stop them!

Back