Number of strikes on social media for copyright

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Does any one know if there are a number of strikes you get on social media of people raising official copyright violations against you before your account is suspended?

Is there a limit? If so what’s to stop a legitimate account being closed down due to repeated malicious claims?

Is there a limit? If so what’s to stop a legitimate account being closed down due to repeated malicious claims?
Because each case is reviewed and only taken down if proven. Usually you have to provide the location of the breach and the original work.

Which social media?

The only answer to this question is, it depends on the social media service in question, check their T&C's.
Facebook. I couldn't find anywhere that says how many times you get a warning hence asking here as someone might know from experience?

Last edited:
Because each case is reviewed and only taken down if proven. Usually you have to provide the location of the breach and the original work.

Facebook. I couldn't find anywhere that says how many times you get a warning hence asking here as someone might know from experience?

In which case I'd presume the answer is 'Probably, but it's not published to avoid being abused, and it's open to discretion, and the number of complaints and the type of content'.

Facebook seems quite arbitrary over why it bans accounts.

https://www.facebook.com/help/1020633957973118

What happens if I repeatedly have content I’ve posted removed for violating someone else’s intellectual property (copyright or trademark) rights?
If you repeatedly post content that infringes someone else’s intellectual property rights, your account may be disabled or your Page removed under Facebook’s repeat infringer policy. Your ability to post photos or videos may be limited, and you could also lose access to certain features or functionality on Facebook. The actions taken under the policy may depend on the nature of the reported content and where it was posted.
If something you posted is restored due to an appeal or because a rights owner withdrew their report, we’ll take that restoration into account under our repeat infringer policy.​

https://www.facebook.com/help/1020633957973118

What happens if I repeatedly have content I’ve posted removed for violating someone else’s intellectual property (copyright or trademark) rights?
If you repeatedly post content that infringes someone else’s intellectual property rights, your account may be disabled or your Page removed under Facebook’s repeat infringer policy. Your ability to post photos or videos may be limited, and you could also lose access to certain features or functionality on Facebook. The actions taken under the policy may depend on the nature of the reported content and where it was posted.
If something you posted is restored due to an appeal or because a rights owner withdrew their report, we’ll take that restoration into account under our repeat infringer policy.​
I bow to your web searching prowess. So it seems there isn't a set number of breaches but you would imagine 1 is one off, 2 is carelessness and they would start hitting you at the third

Last edited:
You have to prove that you're the copyright owner when reporting content.
I also like the response when someone has taken an image posted it to social media and their defence is that they found it on the internet and there was nothing to indicate it was the copyright owners. A good response is that they absolutely knew it wasn't theirs, followed by the guidance "The best way to help make sure that the content you post to [Social Media site] doesn’t violate copyright law is to only post content that you’ve created yourself"

Back