Number of studio lights?

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
I currently have 2 Interfit EDX200 lights and am looking to expand my lighting skills, I am considering buying a Lencarta Kit to go with this to allow me to light the background, and hair etc. I also have 3 speedlights, which I am hoping I can trigger using my Phottix Ares and the Canon wireless trigger.

I guess my question is, would it be beneficial to use more studio lights, or make do with the speedlights?

It is mainly going to be for family portraits, though I may want to get more creative.

The Lencarta kit looks great value.

Thanks Rick

It is great value I bought one.

I've been using 2 Lencarta 200w/s lights and a speedlite for fill in.

I'm noticing the speedlite's colour temperature is more blue than the Lencarta's output so causing me more work in PP.

I never thought of this when trying it out.

So for that reason alone I'd go with more studio lights or reflectors.

Terry.

I'm noticing the speedlite's colour temperature is more blue than the Lencarta's output so causing me more work in PP.

Terry.

That was my fear. I think I'll just order some while I have the cash.

Thanks

Terry.
Why can't you gel the speedlight to match? I buy Roscoe gel swatchbooks for something like $6. (I use blue tac to attach the gels)

Don't get me wrong, ideally I would want matched/suitable studio heads. But sometimes mixing in a speedlight is easier (i.e. hidden behind something), and it's definitely cheaper if you already have them.

Whilst Rick has a point about colour temp, it won't be fixed by buying the Lencarta kit.

The sad fact is that all flash has a colour shift, how much that is, and how bothered we are by it is the million dollar question.

A Lencarta kit could be as different to the Elinchroms as a speedlights is, but the reality is that a new softbox will be more different to an old softbox.

Speedlights tend to be a bit bluer, but they also vary more than studio flash as you adjust the power. Studio flashes get warmer as they age, but whether that's enough to spoil your fun, no one knows.

I've never given it a thought, but I don't do lots of colour critical flash work, and compared to my bread and butter work*, flash is hideously consistent.

*on a typical wedding day I might be shooting under 4 or 5 radically different types of light, sometimes 2 dramatically different in the same shot.

Back to the question, I'd buy more of what you have, so you can easily swap modifiers around. If you're keen to buy Lencarta, sell your current gear and move over totally.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've ordered a couple of Lencarta flash heads. I believe the fittings are comparable with my current Interfit items. I'll have a play and see how it goes, if there is a problem I'll get a couple more Lencarta heads and sell the other kit, as suggested.

Thanks all. I've ordered a couple of Lencarta flash heads. I believe the fittings are comparable with my current Interfit items. I'll have a play and see how it goes, if there is a problem I'll get a couple more Lencarta heads and sell the other kit, as suggested.

It's definitely worth hanging on to the speedlights. I often mix them with studio strobes, they're very useful for adding a little accent light or a dot of flash here and there, and they're small enough to hide behind other things.

It's definitely worth hanging on to the speedlights. I often mix them with studio strobes, they're very useful for adding a little accent light or a dot of flash here and there, and they're small enough to hide behind other things.

I'm glad you posted this Simon, I was up for selling my 2 x Nissin's and triggers etc as I have ordered a Smart flash 3 kit from Lencarta
I did see on the web site flash heads could be triggered using a speedlight too

All new to me- but I am willing to give it a go and take on board any advice

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you posted this Simon, I was up for selling my 2 x Nissin's and triggers etc as I have ordered a Smart flash 3 kit from Lencarta
I did see on the web site flash heads could be triggered using a speedlight too

All new to me- but I am willing to give it a go and take on board any advice

Les

Keep the speedlights. Useful in tight spaces as hugger alluded to. I often use them on the background - with flags

IMG_1487410781.566814.jpg

Back