Numbers crunch and hardware related

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Folks:wave:

I am looking at getting some 6x7 cameras and a 4x5 Linhof.

I was just curious about the PC / Mac hardware requirements behind these...

As I am doing my maths, a 4 x 5 tranny scanned at 9600 dpi will yield a 48 bit RGB tiff of about 10.3 Gb at the least.

I reckon this will call for some serious computing power. I now also wonder if higher dpi ratings might be necessary?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Are you buying a drum scanner to scan at 9600dpi? Flatbeds wont do anywhere near that without doing some serious interpolation.

I would think a serious amout of RAM in either PC or Mac to handle that kind of file size.

And if your going to manipulate the image in photoshop then the a very good proccessor as well. Photoshop has crap memory management.

A way of speeding things up with bigger files in photoshop I was told by a mate who's a graphics designer and practically lives in CS5 was to fit a Sold State Hard Disk to use as photoshops buffer disk. I've not actually tried it on my own machine, but his machine certainly zipped along pretty nicely, and a bit faster than I'd expected it to for it's specification.

The file size is pretty accurate according to my V700, but there's no real need to scan to 9600 dpi, thats way more resolution than you will ever need. Scanning at 1200 dpi gives files 6000x4800 pixels, more than any 35mm format dSLR currently available. Unless you want to print whole walls that can be looked at a viewing distance of a foot you are simply wasting your time

It is impressive though :D

You are waisting space by trying to scan a 4x5 negative at 9600dpi. What scanner has that as a true resolution capable of doing 4x5? If you have a commodity flat bed scanner, those dpi numbers are exaggerated and interpolate. You really only have around true 2400dpi at best. So if that is your case, try scanning at 2400dpi and you'll still get a huge file.

Gentlemen, my sincere apologies for never checking back and responding to your good inputs...

I hope you can forgive me...

Just this once! ;)

Have to agree though, no point scanning at any more than 2400dpi with a flatbed!

Just this once! ;)

Have to agree though, no point scanning at any more than 2400dpi with a flatbed!

Thank you!;)

Well, 2400 is not too bad...should make for decent size prints and still huge files...Wonder what size tiff that would yield...oh, wait, I can go test that...

//Ambles over to scanner

Thanks all!

Scanning 5x4 in at 2400dpi will yield a 115MP image, give or take. At 16bit/channel that will give you a huge tiff. I scan my 6x7 frames in at 2400 giving me a 30MP tiff, there abouts. Even that is easily enough so you have lots of room to play with as far as scanning res goes! As said above really, anything above 2400dpi on a flatbed is just interpolation.

Back