Nurburgring Easter - Report & Pics - caution long read and 56k nope

Edit My Images
No
Well first trip of the year for me, and boy was it a good one.

Picked up my passengers in Ashford too damn early on Friday morning and then got the 7am Eurotunnel.

Blatted through France and into Belgium, traffic was light so we kept it under 100 most of the way until the dreaded Brussells ring road which was suprisingly clear of traffic (first time ever I think!) and we when we stopped for fuel we met up with a load of other british cars all heading for the ring - an MG, a couple of Mitusbishi Evos, a Ford Focus RS, Clio 182 Trophy, Vauxhall VX220, an RX7 with a silly bodykit and an Impreza STi. We took advantage of the empty motorways and enjoyed a "spirited drive" in convoy with little bursts of acceleration when catching up slower vehicles, and doing silly things like warming our tyres (F1 style) through roadworks sections :naughty: I really do like the autobahns. Well, more to the point I really like the derestricted sections of the autobahn. I don't think I need to say any more than that ;)

Went straight to our guesthouse and checked in, dumped our stuff and then drove cross country through the Eifel mountains to get to the ring. You can always tell when you're getting close to the Nurburgring - every second car you pass is a stripped out Golf with tiny Euro-style alloys, a full roll cage and lots of stickers - the atmosphere in the car always changes into a mood of excitement and nervous apprehension.

We arrived in Adenau village to absolute bedlam, there must have been 10,000 bikers there... it way busier than Easter back in 2005 and there traffic jams everywhere. Went and had lunch near the track at Breidsheid and listened to the sounds of squealing tyres as we ate. Took a quick walk up the hill to Wehrseifen and called some friends back home who decided not to come with us, leaving sounds of tyres and screaming engines on their voicemails lol.

Decided to drive round to the main entrance and go and buy some lap tickets - I really like the road between Adenau and the main Nordschliefe carpark - lovely and twisty with a couple of hairpins. Just as we arrived we found the main carpark and the track closed due to a serious accident. Parked up in the dusty car park over the road and walked over to buy a ticket for a few laps - was suprised how much the price has increased since last year but paid for an 8 lap ticket by card - then wandered round what is probably the most expensive car park in the world! Every other car was a Porsche GT3 RS with rollcage, lots of the usual trackday machinery (Impreza's, Evo's and the like). Also saw a stunning Ferarri 360 CS and a lovely silver Porsche Carrera GT, along with one of the new Mercedes McLaren 722 Edition's - not my cup of tea but still an impressive piece of machinery nonetheless.

We particularly liked this GT3 that had met the armco and was hastily repaired and then had a new light sprayed on :LOL: Talk about battle scars!

DSC000911.jpg

Met up with a couple of guys from the Northloop.co.uk site and had a chat whilst waiting for the track to reopen, which didn't take long. An ADAC recovery truck appeared with a severely rolled German Golf (excuse the camera phone pic)

DSC000941.jpg

Proof, if any was needed, that the ring is a dangerous place and when things go wrong they can go badly wrong.

Anyway, we put any bad thoughts aside and went out for a steady sighting lap. As we entered Wippermann there were yellow flags being waved by marshalls for a biker down over the blind crest. Duly slowed down for the accident and it didn't seem that anyone was seriously hurt so we carried on back to the main entrance to find the track closed again while they recovered the bike and cleaned up some oil/fluid. At this point we decided to call it a day and went back to Adenau village for a nice steak and salad at the Blau Ecke.

Whilst having dinner and trying (but failing) to impress some local german girls with my GCSE C grade grasp of the German language, a group of English people we spotted in the carpark earlier came and sat next to us. Turns out they were ring virgins and were down for the weekend in their MX5 and TVR Tuscan S. Swapped a few stories from the day and gave them a few invaluable tips.

Went back to the guesthouse, drank beers and watched some onboard video footage taken by some bikers who were testing some nice machinery for Performance Bike magazine - boy were they scarily fast with sub 8 minute BTG times :wacky:

Got up nice and early on Saturday morning and had a few nice clear laps back to back without incident or accident before it got busy - then decided to get to some of the less accessible veiwing points, get some photos and watch the action. Went down to Bergwerk and took a load of shots from the marshalling post.

DSC_4425.jpg

DSC_4323.JPG

Went and had some lunch (bratwurst and chips, naturally) and then took the long uphill walk to Adenauer Forst.

Very tasty S2000 with J's Racing bodykit and hideously expensive carbon fibre hardtop -

DSC_5300.JPG

Shortcut across the grass -

DSC_4957.jpg

The sun went in and it got really cold so we stayed for about an hour and then drove back to our guest house before going out for a lovely italian meal in Hillesheim.

Awoke early on Sunday to find beautiful sunshine, so we skipped breakfast and headed straight down to the track. Dropped off all our passengers at T13 to get some photos of us and Craig and I headed out onto the circuit. It was one of those perfect moments - we had an empty track, beautiful sunshine and nearly 550bhp between us to play with.

Craig took the lead and I dropped in close behind - it was interesting to see what lines he was taking and what braking points he was choosing - on a circuit that is the best part of 13 miles long with more than 73 corners it's easy to lose too much speed in certain corners and then not be able to carry enough on to the straights.

DSC_5502.jpg

DSC_5447.jpg

Only 2 cars came past us on that lap - two white Porsche GT3's that went past us like we were standing still down through Flugplatz. We let them go past and carried on, got back to the barriers and went straight back out.

This time I took the lead and Craig followed. I took the advice from our conversations with some experienced ringers and didn't lift through Flugplatz, just dropped a gear to 4th and kept the throttle pinned - it made such a difference to the balance of the car and it did a lot to boost my confidence. Same with SX, don't brake but just drop a gear to 5th and keep the power on. Absolutely awesome, the car just gripped and turned in totally unphased where it felt unsettled and the back end wanted to come round under braking before. Due to the lack of other traffic I concentrated really hard to get the perfect racing line for the rest of the lap - we came back to the car park and I was shocked that I had just done a personal best and knocked 20 seconds from my best time last year

DSC_5531.jpg

We pulled up in the carpark and let the cars cool down for a minute and compared notes, and then went out for another 2 awesome laps. On the 4th I had a Peugeot 205 catching me rapidly from Adenauer Forst into Kallenhard - so I turned in a lot tighter to let him past and the back end came round Got back on the power straight away and steered into it, luckily without overcorrecting. Carried on and let the 205 past who gave me a big thumbs up As we came back into the carpark the 205 driver came over for a chat and we had a laugh about what happened. I asked him if it was a 1.6 or a 1.9, expecting to be really embarressed at the speed at which he caught me. I was pleasantly suprised to find he had totally stripped it out and dropped a tuned Mi16 engine into it. No wonder he caught me so fast

img4513pg9.jpg

27touris006120070408os6.jpg

**Last two are not my pics**

Went and picked up the rest of our group from T13 and went to grab breakfast.

Hungry passengers -

DSC_5537.jpg

Craig spies a nice BMW M3 CSL lol -

normal_DSC_5543.jpg

After brekkie we went back to Bergwerk, Brunnchen and Wippermann and then back up to AF after lunch.

DSC_5850.jpg

DSC_6126.jpg

DSC_6236.jpg

Spent some time taking photos from the bottom of Fuchsrorhe and then called it a day. Went back to the guesthouse and then out to dinner.

Monday morning we settled our bill at the guesthouse, loaded up the cars and headed back to the track. Bumped into our new TVR owning friends and had a chat with them. Track was much busier this morning but we went out for a few laps with passengers on board, I nearly got run off the road twice by impatient idiots and then found out that one of the Northloop guys (green Golf GTi above) had an accident (nobody hurt but car probably a write off) so I decided I'd had enough.

At lunchtime we decided to take the scenic route home and planned a route via the sat nav and pointed the cars back home. Stopped in Adinkerke on the Belgian border and stocked up with duty free's before catching the Eurotunnel back. Dropped off my passengers in Ashford and endured the boring drive back to London sticking mainly within the speed limits on the M20.

Currently planning the next trip for late May

Thanks for reading

Looks like a good trip with plenty of good shots and memories to boot :)

Love the pics.

Is it okay to post a copy of the Atom picture in the Atomclub forum?

John

Yes of course, there are a few more of the car on my site here: http://www.itsnotarace.com/cpg132/index.php?cat=51

The Atom didn't seem to be going very fast though, considering it should have been one of the quickest cars all weekend. The guy also lost the back end at Adenauer Forst and smacked into the barriers - he got a big cheer from the crowd :LOL: the car didn't seem too badly damaged and he drove off but with a wheel at each corner I expect some suspension damage was done

Thanks.

I don't think anyone owned up to that one!! :)

The Atom is a hugely quick car but lack top end on big tracks with long straights.

John

The blue STi Type R in the pics above belongs to my mate Craig, it's just had a full engine rebuild with forged pistons and lots of shiny bits and then a remap by Richard Bulmer at Tracktive

Dave and Clare were there all weekend along with about 20 other cars from Northloop members

thanks for posting, sounds like a great time was had. Got to add this to the list of things you MUST do :)

Wow, nice report im so tempted to do a trip. But i think it would have to be in somthing like a 205 striped and caged dont think i could trust my self in my daily drive!

Good pics and a great read, thanks (y)

Nice read, thanks

Back