Nuthatch.jpg

Nuthatch_21.jpg

D810 + 600mm f4 + 1,4TC
ISO1250 - f5.6 - 1/800th sec

22% or 20% crop of full FF image

perch, barge pole needs a little more work

Last edited:
Reactions: RKC
Nice nutties there. I've noticed some come to my feeder today but there's not much light in my garden so I'm sure I'll never get anything like this.

If I was going to crit, I'd say 1) maybe a slightly f stop to get more of the back of the bird in focus (you seem to have lost a bit of detail at the back and the edge of the legs) and 2) be more careful with whatever you've done...I'm assuming you've painted that background green now that I look at it? There are areas I can see for example the left of the birds foot, on the branch...needs work. Also now that I think about it maybe the legs and the back of the bird aren't out of focus, you've simply done something with your painting that's made them look that way. So go on, what have you done to that background? :p

Thank Chris

Perch - There were blown spots on the perch - you can see them as I have toned them down - I could have cloned in detail but ....... they were gone

Back ground - blended the different areas of light using clone tools and NR plus Gaussian Blurr - ISO was 1250 and it's a 20% crop so bg noise was noticeable

Perch LHS top - i was careless in NR - but the perch and the birds legs are OOF as the focus was spot focus on the eye

Bg is natural - not painted but dealt with as above

My main concern was to focus the viewer on the head and the detail in the white area

My concern with my images is not to push the RAW in terms of process/sharpening, taking the image away from what was natural, I am guilty of this as that seems what people want to see - I see many images when the clarity slider which throws black at the image is done to emphasis sharpening past the natural image ...... it is important when you process a RAW, which you always have to do, that you do not get carried away, (I can be guilty of that)

Last edited:
Back