NX Studio and Capture 1

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
How is that Nikon give their software away free of charge but Fuji want you to pay a fortune (even more than Lightroom) for it's proprietary software? What's the difference? I can't edit Fuji RAR with Studio and I can't edit NEF files with Capture 1 (unless I buy the really full version at nearly three hundred quid). I like my Fuji but I'm going to have to use JPEGs on it when my Adobe sub runs out as I'm not paying that much for the little I use it.

Well it's in the latest version, but they gave to understand that it's still maturing. But filling that market gap should be a sea change, nevertheless.

How is that Nikon give their software away free of charge but Fuji want you to pay a fortune (even more than Lightroom) for it's proprietary software? What's the difference? I can't edit Fuji RAR with Studio and I can't edit NEF files with Capture 1 (unless I buy the really full version at nearly three hundred quid). I like my Fuji but I'm going to have to use JPEGs on it when my Adobe sub runs out as I'm not paying that much for the little I use it.
Capture One does not belong to Fuji.

There are free, basic versions (Capture One Express) for Fuji, Sony and Nikon:
These are the same download as other versions of Capture One, but you get a licence key that unlocks a non time-limited version with fewer features than the full product.

Fuji's own software is called Raw File Converter. Like Nikon's previous package, Capture NX (not sure about Studio), it's built on Silkypix:
They also have a package that uses your camera's processor to do the raw conversion:

Last edited:
I didn't notice the Express version, I'll have a look at that, thank you.

Capture One does not belong to Fuji.

There are free, basic versions (Capture One Express) for Fuji, Sony and Nikon:
These are the same download as other versions of Capture One, but you get a licence key that unlocks a non time-limited version with fewer features than the full product.

Fuji's own software is called Raw File Converter. Like Nikon's previous package, Capture NX (not sure about Studio), it's built on Silkypix:
They also have a package that uses your camera's processor to do the raw conversion:
this

I tried the Fujifilm express version, but it keeps saying it was the trial version, even though it did give me a key when I downloaded it. I ended up removing it, and gone back to Silkypix. Only problem with Silkypix, it does not have the shadow or highlight tab, that function is only available in the paid version.

I tried the Fujifilm express version, but it keeps saying it was the trial version, even though it did give me a key when I downloaded it. I ended up removing it, and gone back to Silkypix. Only problem with Silkypix, it does not have the shadow or highlight tab, that function is only available in the paid version.
You should be able to install it either as the trial for the full version, or as the Express version (which isn't a trial and doesn't expire). The way it's presented can be a bit confusing (both use the same installer, and Capture One would naturally like to upsell the full version via the trial!). If you've already installed it as a trial, you might need to uninstall and start again, using the Express key.

You should be able to install it either as the trial for the full version, or as the Express version (which isn't a trial and doesn't expire). The way it's presented can be a bit confusing (both use the same installer, and Capture One would naturally like to upsell the full version via the trial!). If you've already installed it as a trial, you might need to uninstall and start again, using the Express key.
I will give it another whirl, and see if I can get it to run. ;)

It's good to try all these things out. My subscription to Lightroom doesn't end until next March but I can't see me renewing it, I can buy the full version of Capture 1 for just over two years subscription costs and I can't see my requirements will ever change from what I use now; at my age I'm unlikely to start a new career in photomanipulation.

Back