NX Studio vs Elements

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey

Just getting back into photography after a few years hiatus.

Just got myself a D700 and a few lenses. Looking for a editing programme.

I have downloaded Nikon NX studio and it seems easy to import photos and has a decent range of editing tools and is obviously specifically made for Nikon Cameras.

Am I missing anything by not getting elements or even lightroom.

NX studio does not have dodge, burn and clone etc.

Whats your thought gang?

NX Studio has colour control points which can take the place of dodge and burn, if you have never used them have a look for videos that show their use, they are very powerful.
The heal brush is not as good as elements and there is no clone tool.
I still use Nikon Capture NX2 for my main editing but then transfer to elements on the rare occasions when I need better healing or cloning or want to do what I call non-photographic editing, i.e. merging photos, adding text, shaped cropping etc.

Last edited:
If you do not need the DAM part of LR, have a look at Affinity Photo.

For dodge and burn and cloning and many other things GIMP is first class and free. Particularly good at what one might call trad airbrushing/re-touching.

Darktable is a free LR alternative, hugely powerful and many useful modules.

Rawtherapee the same, you can get very sophisticated with either. But I prefer darktable most of the time.

All 100% free (the dedication the builders show amazes me) and with those 4 installed there is no processing problem which need defeat you. I find NxStudio is best for initial processing of RAW, adjusting exposure, WB etc. Then export as a TIFF for detailed work in the others......

But obv fewer tutorials than for Adobe products and on some things (esp AI masking) they a long way behind.

NX Studio is actually a rather sophisticated editing suite, but is so different from anything else it can feel somewhat daunting. Control points are a revelation and I often find myself heading to NX Studio from LRC and back to use them.

I've had a copy of Elements 2022 for some months but hardly ever use it as I find the interface is still rather clunky. My wife uses it though and refuses to change to LRC - whether that's a good reference (or not) I don't know :)

Back