NX Studio

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I realise NX Studio isn't what you would call a main stream editing program but I find it quite useful to get images off my memory cards and into my filing system and also for viewing/culling prior to importing into Lightroom. Yes, I know I could do this directly in Lightroom but I would rather not add a couple of thousand images to the catalogue just to delete 90% of them again.

There was a new version (v. 1.3.2) of NX Studio released in March and I am finding it quite unstable when viewing/culling images. After maybe 10 minutes, or so, it will just freeze up and be unresponsive requiring the program to be shut down and restarted again. Just for completeness I have tried editing with the new version and it appears to be fine.

I'm in the process of culling (2000+) images from the Shuttleworth Collection air display yesterday and have had to be-boot the program a couple of times. I even uninstalled and re-installed it but that hasn't helped :(

It's a long shot, I know, but I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Reactions: TG.
I have never used Nikon and never used NC Studio.

Having said that, some thoughts and questions.

Why not go back the earlier version that if I am reading your post right used to work better?

Does your PC meet the minimum spec to use NX Studio v1.3.2 ? NB the sort of problem you describe reminds of "memory leaks" and IIRC that is attributed to poor programming.

If you are shooting raw, I find FastRawViewer a very useful checking & culling tool

I have never used Nikon and never used NC Studio.

Having said that, some thoughts and questions.

Why not go back the earlier version that if I am reading your post right used to work better?

Does your PC meet the minimum spec to use NX Studio v1.3.2 ? NB the sort of problem you describe reminds of "memory leaks" and IIRC that is attributed to poor programming.

If you are shooting raw, I find FastRawViewer a very useful checking & culling tool
Hi BB, thanks for your response. I have gone back to the previous version and it is working as expected. I've sent an email to Nikon about my issue ... but don't expect a reply.

The PC is rather well specified and far exceeds their minimum requirements so it's not that. Personally, I think it's down to poor programming. TBH I'm not sure why Nikon continue to publish this software as hardly anyone uses it but I would miss it f it wasn't there.

I haven't used FastRawViewer but see they have a discount that finishes today so I will check it out later. Thanks for the tip (y)

I have no problems with NX Studio 1.3.2 although I normally do not use it for much more than 10 mins at a time.
I just had a play simply viewing images and it was OK for 15 mins but I only deleted a few images.

I updated to the latest version this afternoon.

Once installed, I tried to start it and ....... nothing! I had to reboot before it would start. Once up and running it works as it should, if a little slowly. All my machines are way above minimum spec.

If I close it down it won't restart, I have to reboot. It does this every time unless I leave it running in the background. I'll try an earlier version to how it goes.

Like those above, I only use it for reviewing and culling.

Mine runs better than the older version, faster to load and smoother to run ??????????

Back