NYC booked ! - What lens to take?

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I would personally say the wider the better for NYC. Last time I went I took all my gear but just had my Nikon 10-24 on for 95% of the time

I brought everything.....only used the 10-20 and 18-70 and 35mm 1.8 (which I could have done without but was looking to take some portraits at a wedding) for my whole 5 day trip.

Joe

I used a 10-20 for buildings and 35mm at other times for candids and stuff but that's on a crop body.

Last time I went I took all my gear but just had
kv.gif

I am taking my 30D with 28-105mm 3.5-4.5, the big Brownie is having a holiday too :cool:

I borrowed a friends 18-200mm, was more than sufficient.

I bet that's mostly of buildings? Which I don't do much.

If you are not shooting buildings then why take a T/S lens? If I were doing what you are I would take a 50mm. But I prefer a 50 over a 35. If you like a 35, then take it! ;)

If you are not shooting buildings then why take a T/S lens? If I were doing what you are I would take a 50mm. But I prefer a 50 over a 35. If you like a 35, then take it! ;)

Challenge, something different and fun lol

The 45 will still be usable without the t/s, plus I don't subscribe to the thinking T/S = architectural photos.

Challenge, something different and fun lol

The 45 will still be usable without the t/s, plus I don't subscribe to the thinking T/S = architectural photos.

Go with what you feel then I guess but the T/S lenses are more bulky with all of the fiddly bits poking out of them. We will expect lots of 'minaturised' shots when you get back then! ;)

Or, hows about another challenge? Grab a film SLR with 50mm lens and a few coloured filters and shoot a bunch of B&W film? Now that sounds interesting to me! :)

I think it would be borderline criminal to go to NYC and not take an ultrawide or fish-eye with you! I lived there for a while and I found the 24-105 f4mm was pretty good for 60% of the time and so much easier to travel with than the 24-70 2.8. But I found myself using the 17-40mm a lot on full frame.

NYC is such a good mix of shooting opportunities, from long lens telephoto looking down from high above and along at ground level along the avenues, to really tight situations at street level. New York, such a great place to photograph. If you ever manage to escape B&H!

Have fun :)

I think it would be borderline criminal to go to NYC and not take an ultrawide or fish-eye with you! I lived there for a while and I found the 24-105 f4mm was pretty good for 60% of the time and so much easier to travel with than the 24-70 2.8. But I found myself using the 17-40mm a lot on full frame.

NYC is such a good mix of shooting opportunities, from long lens telephoto looking down from high above and along at ground level along the avenues, to really tight situations at street level. New York, such a great place to photograph. If you ever manage to escape B&H!

Have fun :)

B&H is on the list :D

I like shooting people, buildings are meh, sure, there will be the odd iconic building but they will serve as a backdrop to any street scene that i might capture. The only building scene i envisage taking is the skyline from top of Empire state or Rockerfeller.

Wide angle? I have a 16-35L but narh....far far far too easy lol, end up the whole trip full of meaningless cityscapes shots of skyscrapers that we've all seen a thousand times.

B&H is on the list :D

I like shooting people, buildings are meh, sure, there will be the odd iconic building but they will serve as a backdrop to any street scene that i might capture. The only building scene i envisage taking is the skyline from top of Empire state or Rockerfeller.

Wide angle? I have a 16-35L but narh....far far far too easy lol, end up the whole trip full of meaningless cityscapes shots of skyscrapers that we've all seen a thousand times.

Okay, that's creepy...have you hacked into my network?! :LOL:

I see what you mean. You like a challenge and to see things through a different perspective. I like that.

Sometimes I'll travel with just a prime 24, 50 or 85 just to force me to forget all the other possibilities. Travelling with all the gear can sometimes be very annoying as you can spend your whole time reaching around for another lens...another body...another filter etc... Once I've spotted a shot in my mind, and I know I can capture it, that's it, it has to be done!

So, one lens & you like a challenge. A lensbaby? An 800mm f5.6?! ;)

I think you've already go the right idea, the 35 prime is hard to beat. I'd be very tempted to compliment that with an 85L too. Perfect for people.

I have the 85L too but i rather not change lenses, I am reluctant to take zooms because it is too easy lol

I won't feel miss out not having a wide shot, I have a small Olympus XZ-1 with me anyway if I want some wide cityscape. The fact that everyman and his dog is walking around with a massive angle getting the same shots over and over again makes me don't want to do that.

35L is the safe bet.
85L would be a challenge but i've done 50mm on crop in HK...it turn out quite well !
45 T/S 2.8, now that's a challenge.

Did I mention the T/S is a full manual focus lens? lol

Also, I find there is no better way of getting to know a piece of equipment than when you have no choice but use it, at all times. You gain the benefit of learning it's limitation, your limitation, improve your own skill with that equipment, get to know that focal length.

My first trip back to HK I took the 16-35 on the 30D. The year later I took the 50mm on the 30D. The 50mm had better shots.
2 years after that i took the 35mm on 5D, even better shots with those. I am very comfortable with the 35mm now, I know when I see a scene if that frame will fit into my shot without holding the camera up. It means when I shoot weddings I can move into position before putting the camera up, it makes people less aware of you, until the last moment which hopefully they don't notice until I click, by which point I would've got my candid at 5 feet away rather than 50ft with a 70-200mm.

The secret reason I want to try the 45 T/S is I'd like to use it in a wedding (?! are you crazy !). I have three 5Ds anyway.....what's one with a t/s on all the time? lol The idea is doing some creative formals with it, or in an engagement shoot, situations where I am controlling the environment.

/I am waiting for someone who has tried something similar to come along and say I am totally mad and it won't work....and this is why!

Last edited:
I'd go with the 85, it'll be a fantastic challenge and the people-watching in NYC is fantastic so you should get some great candids.

I guess if you do get fed up with it then you can do some shopping :)

I forgot the T/S is manual focus. You do like to make it difficult :)

Then again, the 85L might as well be manual focus too, it's no spring chicken in the AF department!

I forgot the T/S is manual focus. You do like to make it difficult :)

Then again, the 85L might as well be manual focus too, it's no spring chicken in the AF department!

85L would be easy, i can shoot with it just fine.

I also have a 85/1.8 as well ! lol

There is no reason why the T/S wouldn't work.. But would you really have a chance to use the T or S if you intend to shoot people, unless it's crowds from further away?

The reason I suggested the 40mm pancake (voigtlander has a great 40/2 manual focus one for EF too) is just because it's a great focal length for shooting people with a bit of background. Though I love my 35L it does seem a bit wide often, and the 50mm I find too narrow. I know I'm hard to please :D

Do I have a 40mm lens? Nope. But I have a MFT with 20/1.7 which has a field of view equivalent to the 40mm. And I sure like it a LOT so I'm looking to buy the canon or voigtlander 40mm soon.

You should defo take something wide

Back