Nymph Emerged - Damselfly ??

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is some form of Damselfly, the nymphs had climbed up the reed and, appeared to have left behind a skin and were clinging to it, presumably drying.

1)
IMG_3458.jpg

2)
IMG_3447.jpg

3)
IMG_3457.jpg

55-250, Raynox DCR250, Jessops 360AFD on full power and homemade ring flash converter.

Can anyone confirm the type please ? Thanks for looking. Any suggestions on how to get these better, any general C&C welcome please.

Nice shots, John.

The left behind skin is called the exuvia and you can usually see the cord that has joined them.

The reason I know is because I spent ages waiting for them all to come out of the exuvias..................then found out they had done so ages ago and had flown!! :D

One learns from one's mistakes!! :D

Yes, its a damselfly that has just emerged.

At this time of year, it will almost certainly be the Large Red damsel as they have just started emerging.

I have a full sequence in a gallery of one emerging from my pond last year if you are interested in seeing what happens:
http://lindabuckell.zenfolio.com/p441840697

Its a fascinating thing to watch - its even more impressive watching a dragonfly emerge, although it takes much longer - the dragonflies will start emerging in the coming weeks along with the other species of damselflies, so keep your eyes peeled.

As to how you could improve on your pics, is very difficult to say in your case as you ideally need a dedicated macro lens to get better detail etc. From your details it looks like you are using a Raynox, so I am not familiar with how you could improve on them, but someone else might be able to help.

Linda

Thanks Janice, and thanks for the info (y)

Thanks for the information, and amazing set of shots Linda, great timing/patience. Yes it's a Raynox, and for the time being at least (probably quite of long time being...) I'm not going to be getting a dedicated macro lens, so needs must...

It will probably be a Large Red damselfly - they are the first dragonfly to emerge in the UK and have just started to do so.

I like #3 best - although the colours dont look right on any of them (a bluish colour cast on them all).

Here is one I photographed last year

3469588002_83f724a74d_o.jpg

I see Linda got there before me! I started replying this morning but got distracted! :)

Thanks Stephen, superb shot... I didn't spot the colour cast when I was processing these... I'm not sure why that should have happened, the auto WB normally nails it with the flash... most odd.. still easily corrected and I'll sort them out...

Thanks Robbo..

I've not had a chance to upload the colour corrected versions as yet...

This article by Brian (lordv) on Photography-on-the.net is well worth a read, covering cheaper options than a macro lens and lighting etc etc. Brian achieves fantastic results, and is someone I respect for his knowledge - the results speak for themselves.

Stephen

Thanks for the link Stephen... Bizarrely he's not far from me ;)...

Back