NZ seascapes

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm back home in NZ for a few weeks and havn't had time to get out of town for the usual chocolate box shots but tried my luck with a few long exposures taken near Sumner in Christchurch...

1)
5326844454_0707642e4e.jpg

2)
5331772621_aef7643954.jpg

3)
5322857733_26970f954d.jpg

This sort of shot always appeals to me.
I especially the first and last.
To be critical though, all three would have been better for me if they'd been really sharp showing detail in the wood, bird, and rock:

#1- Had the gull (I think) on the far right post been clearly visible the shot
would have been perfect in detail and composition.
#2- The dark area at the very bottom catches my eye every time. Id prefer
my eye to go straight to the rock then out from there.
#3- I'd really like to have seen detail in the 2 posts at the end of the jetty.
The picture leans a little left to right.

talbot

Yeh I like those too...

Very good, I enjoy the long exposure stuff and you`ve done it really well, especially like 1 and 2.

:)

#1 is the best, a feeling of isolation. Might be worth cloning out the gull to avoid the ditraction.

Nice shots. I'm heading over to NZ next week and will be staying at my GF's Aunties near Sunmer for a bit.

What filters did you use to get the long exposures?

Last edited:
Thanks all. Talbot - Agree with all of your points. The gull is like that as it kept hopping abou during the 30 second exposure....I'll try it with it kulled. I had issues with wind and waves vibating the tripod so not as sharp as I would have liked for the the jetty and rock. I had to force the image and the IQ has suffered.

DaveKing - I use a ND 110 B+W 10 stop filter which is what a lot of people use on this forum. One of the best investments I made as it allows you to shoot in poor light and get something decent (#1 was taken early afternoon on a lousy day). Enjoy NZ...there's loads to shoot close to Sumner.

Thanks Ted. I have just had a look - £80 in 72mm!!! I think that filter will give that one a miss until I get back from NZ. I have just got a Hoya CPL and I think that would be more use for the summer out there :)

I love number 2.

New Zealand is such an amazing place.

I dont think people realise just how beautiful it is.

I personally find the effect too much... but that said I can see that they are great shots!

I'd love to go to NZ!

Back