O.k. Seriously!

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
I am 35 and my wife 30.

Are we too old to immigrate to the U.K. make a good life there?

Any other country?

Chuckurbala are you seeing this?

Cruise ship job maybe?

You want to come HERE?!? Everyone else is leaving.

Our beloved leader has taken over the reigns from mary blair and is standing down at Dover holding the doors open, welcoming in all who qualify. To qualify you have to be one of the following:

1) Highly experienced and qualified in a much required profession - i.e. brussel sprout picker.

2) Sick or infirm with no prospect of ever working again

3) p***.

4) Terrorist.

Do you qualify?

So what provoked this about turn then?

You want to come HERE?!? Everyone else is leaving.

Our beloved leader has taken over the reigns from mary blair and is standing down at Dover holding the doors open, welcoming in all who qualify. To qualify you have to be one of the following:

1) Highly experienced and qualified in a much required profession - i.e. brussel sprout picker.

2) Sick or infirm with no prospect of ever working again

3) p***.

4) Terrorist.

Do you qualify?

I'll pick option 1:LOL:

'tis a great skill picking them correctly I'll have you know:p

So what provoked this about turn then?

Maybe a bit of Monday...

Maybe Mugabe and his free and fair election...

But seriously, those poor sods could flee here. Where are we going?

Hmmmm, as someone who is in the process of organising things to leave England I had to admit that you'd have to be MENTAL to want to move here.

Australia might suit you better Anton, it has warm and dry bits.

Trust me, stay in SA... At least you have the climate to enjoy!

That is true...there is more to it than climate though;)

It is difficult at times to distinguish between pessimist opinions and wake-up calls.

It feels as if the downward spiral is gentle enough not to draw any reaction but going down all the same.

We still have food in our shops and petrol at the pump - even some law and order at times...:bonk:

Don't get me wrong folks, bad things and unforeseen events happen all over but what worries me is what will happen in 30 years from now when I have less options than I have today...

Australia might suit you better Anton, it has warm and dry bits.

:wave:Hello Steep

It is not the climate that bothers me...I would love -10 Celsius permanently...(y)

Thing is, Australia has Shane Warne...:thinking:lesser of two evils I suppose eh?

New Zealand actually appeals to me much more for many reasons but they don't take too many peeps in AFAIK.

Should maybe explore that option

Sorry but as a Lincolnshire resident I must advise you there is no skill required to pick sprouts whatsoever.

They grow on long stalks which are just lopped off with a blade.
Option 1 must therefore be removed:LOL:

Hmmmm, as someone who is in the process of organising things to leave England I had to admit that you'd have to be MENTAL to want to move here.
Why are you leaving?

Wanna swop places?:nuts:

Sorry but as a Lincolnshire resident I must advise you there is no skill required to pick sprouts whatsoever.

They grow on long stalks which are just lopped off with a blade.
Option 1 must therefore be removed:LOL:
:LOL:(y)

You realise that it's standing room only over here ?

I think within 50 years the complete demographics of the UK will have changed, all the English/Scots/Welsh will be in Spain/Portugal/France, whilst the UK will be full of Poles/Bangladeshi's/Lithuanians/Anyone else/who has been given the misguided impression this is a better place to live.

Come on over, if the weather doesn't depress you, the taxes will.

You realise that it's standing room only over here ?

I think within 50 years the complete demographics of the UK will have changed, all the English/Scots/Welsh will be in Spain/Portugal/France, whilst the UK will be full of Poles/Bangladeshi's/Lithuanians/Anyone else/who has been given the misguided impression this is a better place to live.

Come on over, if the weather doesn't depress you, the taxes will.

You working for a travel agency by any chance?:LOL:

I spend a lot of time on (UK) building sites with Eastern-European / Asian (immigrant) workers and even they are getting fed up with the rate of immigration. It's not a case of racism or being a 'Nimby' , it's that we are a small Island and the culture / landscape that is so attractive to the world is getting eroded by the influx.

If I had the opportunity to emigrate it I'd do it without a second thought .

ps. Last one out, turn of the lights.....

not sure whether to laugh or cry at some of the things in this thread

comparing uk problems to south african problems is nothing short of ridiculous.
lots of south africans would love to have the problems we have.

the most dangerous areas of south africa make the most dangerous parts of the UK look like a holiday resort.

as for the immigration in this country, i wish gordon brown would let more hardworking immigrants in, and kick out some of the lazy indigenous species who dont do anything other than dream of being Katie Price.

Anton, there are too many doom mongers in this country !!
Welcome to the best country on the planet. Get over here and enjoy. :)

Anton, there are too many doom mongers in this country !!
Welcome to the best country on the planet. Get over here and enjoy. :)

If I find out how I would have you over for tea tomorrow night!

2blue4u

:clap::clap::clap:

Dunno why, you make me laugh so much. And no i am not being sarcastic :clap::clap::clap:

Oh dear, my eye's are watering :woot:

But seriously mate, Why you want to come back to the U.K??

It isn't any good over here, the goverment think they own you and everything.

Taxes
Congestion Charge (If you are going to live in London)
People shouting at you on the streets all the time (If you drive)
Basically get pinched for anything

Tony (y)

I suppose the things I would label as gripes might be something you folks in the bigger cities have been used to for long - possibly decades.

Our cities (and small towns too) are flooded with immigrant vermin doing nothing but selling drugs and causing a wave of associated crime from petty to serious at times.

Please note that I am not mentioning any nationality as this is not meant to be racist or any other un-pc flavour - simply fact as I see it:rules:

Wherever I go, if I could choose I would avoid any city and make a living by working a 60 hour week - which is less than I work now - doing whatever, self-employed or working for somebody. Preferably not too much manual labour at first...

Rant over for now

Where else have you lived then? What experience are you drawing on when you give us this considered opinion? Or is it just the uninformed throw away comment of someone who doesn't know they're born and doesn't make the most of what they actually have?

I've been around the world and wouldn't live anywhere else. If I had to I'd consider Scandanavia. The UK has so much to offer. Yes house prices are stupidly high in places, yes we are heavily taxed, but then anyone who is sick has access to free health care, yes the weather isn't the greatest but then I've never known anyone get bitten my a tick in this country and die and we don't get the really wild weather the tropics suffer. Europe is on your doorstep where you have mountains, fjords, tourquioise seas, green hills and valleys and so much variety you would die before you'd seen it all.

I'd recommend the UK to anyone.

Where else have you lived then? What experience are you drawing on when you give us this considered opinion? Or is it just the uninformed throw away comment of someone who doesn't know they're born and doesn't make the most of what they actually have?

I've been around the world and wouldn't live anywhere else. If I had to I'd consider Scandanavia. The UK has so much to offer. Yes house prices are stupidly high in places, yes we are heavily taxed, but then anyone who is sick has access to free health care, yes the weather isn't the greatest but then I've never known anyone get bitten my a tick in this country and die and we don't get the really wild weather the tropics suffer. Europe is on your doorstep where you have mountains, fjords, tourquioise seas, green hills and valleys and so much variety you would die before you'd seen it all.

I'd recommend the UK to anyone.

If I could have all of that and not in a big city I would swim there!

what most people dont realise, is that most eastern european migrants have no intention of staying here in the long term.

That's quite true
They come in their hundreds,thousands even, ( well the ones we know about at least) work, send money home to finance their families in their native country and build a better life there at our expense. They spend virtually nothing whilst they are here, under cut out workers doing the indigenous population out of work. That's more burden on the "social services"
then leave raping the country and finances ( health service etc) rather like a plague of locusts.
Leaving an environmental vacuum ready for the next influx.

That's quite true
They come in their hundreds,thousands even, ( well the ones we know about at least) work, send money home to finance their families in their native country and build a better life there at our expense. They spend virtually nothing whilst they are here, under cut out workers doing the indigenous population out of work. That's more burden on the "social services"
then leave raping the country and finances ( health service etc) rather like a plague of locusts.
Sitting on the fence on this topic then Chris ?

Bob

That's quite true

LOL
I was going to post about why thats utter nonsense, but it'll take this thread way off topic, so lets leave that subject for now.

Shall I sit it out in S.A. then, guys?:eek:

:D

from what i've heard from my friends that live/lived in SA I think youre better off here where youre less likely to get tyre-burned

Well it really isn't that bad. That stuff happened in the 80's and also it was always confined the townships.

By this I am not downplaying it or saying it was good.

I saw...

Well let's just say that "the struggle" was not only what you guys saw in newspapers.

I do not particularly want to spend my retirement in Africa.

I would rather do something while I can before noticing later that I should have already...

Well it really isn't that bad. That stuff happened in the 80's and also it was always confined the townships.

I saw...

Well let's just say that "the struggle" was not only what you guys saw in newspapers.

I would rather do something while I can before noticing later that I should have already...

a friend of mine went to south africa recently.
i was watching his facebook status updates.. they made me laugh

..is in South Africa
..is excited
..is enjoying the sites
..is scared
..is very scared
..wants to go home

LOL

I saw...

We can all find something wrong with the country / town / city that we live in Anton.
At least we don't get the civil unrest here that you do ( well we do but its usually peaceful protests )
And nothing like you must have lived through
I can see your reasoning about finding somewhere quiet to retire to(y)

I spent time in the states ( NE South Dakota) I could live there (y)
We have relations in France so we visit quite regularly there's places I could live, there too (y)
but for now this country will do, but like you I may well "find" another one to retire to
with better weather and quiet locations (y)

Hi Anton, I have my boet in CT and he (and his wife) feel very much like you, wanting to leave RSA before long. I also grew up in RSA (JHB) but my life took a turn when I accepted a job offer in Saudi :)cuckoo:). In their case they are looking at Italy as a potential future home. Much to my disappointment, after reading this thread, I realize I have tried to put him/them off with some rather irrational reasons :)bonk: many of which have been stated in this thread too!!). I guess when we live in a place/city/country all the time, we seem to start looking at the "bad" points only, overlooking some of the "good" points.

Basically all this just to say that I think I understand what you're going through and sure that whatever you decide will be the best choice you'll make.

NB: Was in New Zealand for work for a very short period of time a while back ... there are lots of South Africans there!

a friend of mine went to south africa recently.
i was watching his facebook status updates.. they made me laugh

..is in South Africa
..is excited
..is enjoying the sites
..is scared
..is very scared
..wants to go home

LOL

In all fairness towards S.A. I think that is a bit harsh.

There are beautiful spots to see down here and living isn't that expensive in most aspects.

There are spots where you should not go - that is where I work mostly:bonk: but that is surely true of justabout all cities...:shrug:

Back